Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

Is it a good idea to install it??

mikey74
    Free Member

Yes. The Gov’t subsidies makes it quite cheap these days too.

TooTall
    Free Member

Mostly a very good idea. There are exceptions (cavity not big enough etc), but mostly worth it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    skiboy
    Free Member

depends,

If your house is older like mine circa 1900’s removing the cavity by filling it takes away the buildings ability to circulate air and remove moisture from the building fabric, this in turn can lead to issues with damp etc,the cavity wasn’t a mistake it was put in for a reason,

due to the rise in heating bills etc this is always something people consider as an easy to remedy option,

newer houses don’t know,

TooTall
    Free Member

Not as simple as just the age for judging. It also doesn’t stop the cavity doing its job – it slows down the air movement rather than eliminating it. It is an easy remedy for most householders.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/In-your-home/Roofs-floors-walls-and-windows/Cavity-wall-insulation

legend
    Free Member

Just been offered cavity insulation for £149 (2 bedroom , semi-detached house) and have absolutely no idea if this is a good idea or not!?

Anyone have any other views on this insulation now that we’re a few months into winter (albeit a warm winter compared to last year)?

cbike
    Free Member

Did you see Rip off Britain as well then?

Drac

Cost me £99 for 3 bedroom semi just late last year, has made a noticeable difference.

project
    Free Member

we got ours free, courtesy of British Gas, 5 floor appartment block, and we dont habve gas.

Part of their commitment to reducing global warming.

project
    Free Member

try your energy supplier.

Drac

Ours came from these guys.

http://www.warmzones.co.uk/

donsimon
    Free Member

There’s a link to grants on that there EST page.

Drac

It would seem EDF is doing a promotion again, looks like it’s free but didn’t check the details.

https://www.edfenergy.com/products-services/for-your-home/winter-saving/winter-form.shtml

legend
    Free Member

Some interesting reading on the EST page, looks like I might be able to get it for free…the only trouble being “meterage charges” if your walls are bigger than they say they should be 😕

lump

Get it done. Its in the top three things to do to your home to reduce bills. check your loft has the full recommended amount of 275mm and feel the difference 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

Do you live in a very rainy place? I have read (due to our own damp problem sadly) that it can be an issue if you do.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As greatape – some houses/positions etc mean it will cause more problems than it will solve. I won’t put it in our house and am sick of the continuous calls we get telling us ‘it’ll be fine’.

donsimon
    Free Member

Have a word with local building control officers, they’ll tell you if it’s suitable.

nealglover
    Free Member

Most of the “reasons” not to do it are myths in my opinion.

The only reason the cavity approach is used, is because it’s far cheaper to build a Brick and block wall with a cavity, than it is to build a double skin solid brick wall (like they used to do)

Personally I would say go for it, it’s not as good as other forms of insulating your house, buts it very cheap and it’s certainly better than doing nothing at all.

I would ring around and ask what fill different people are using, try and get someone who uses Polystyrene balls rather than mineral wool.

Polystyrene fills more completely leaving less voids, and it doesn’t slump over time like mineral wool.
    Far more effective in the long run.

Philby

get someone who uses Polystyrene balls rather than mineral wool.

Unless things have changed in recent years most specifiers would only recommend mineral wool or rockwool when I was in the business.

Polystyrene used to have problems with the resin that was supposed to hold it together.

nealglover
    Free Member

There are people that use polystyrene around.

Not too many as mineral wool is easier (from the installers point of view) so most take the easy option.

(and will more than likely tell you it’s better too 😉 )

lambchop
    Free Member

I’d say no. Can cause damp by bridging the cavity and letting moisture travel from the outer skin to the inner wall. Can cause brick ties to corrode. Leaves 22mm holes in your brick pointing. Cavities let air circulate.

TooTall
    Free Member

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/In-your-home/Roofs-floors-walls-and-windows/Cavity-wall-insulation

Here – some advice for you on a website. It is a good idea for most with a few exceptions. Saying something can cause something else is not quantified. Water on a steel bike can cause rust, yet we ride bikes in the rain!

phead
    Free Member

Generally a good idea unless your walls are constantly wet, eg you live where wind swept rain is a problem, or you already have damp problems due to other issues.

The rics scotland advice seems fair:

http://www.rics.org/site/scripts/news_article.aspx?newsID=2120

igm

The Beeb did something last night (0730ish, Rip Off Britain? don’t know I was doing the dishes) on the problems cavity wall insulation could cause if not done right. Very superficial before they went on to energy suppliers acting like they are above the law, but iPlayer is your friend.

edit – beaten to it

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The phead example is why I won’t install – exposed location with gable end constantly battered with prevailing winds and rain hitting it straight on.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

First post dutchandy.

I wonder who employs dutchandy?

donsimon
    Free Member

i also read in Ireland they have banned installing fiber and going back to polystyrene beads as less problems with damp

Is that because it rains a lot there? Should we do the same in the South East?

teef
    Free Member
    davidjones15
    Free Member
    paulosoxo
    Free Member

British Gas do it free of charge if you’re a customer

trail_rat
    Free Member

well i was against having it done at my gaff due to exposure.

drilled a hole through both walls with an SDS gun – 1 meter drill bit and what came out on the end but some cavity wall insulation ….

saladdodger
    Free Member

First things first I am an electrician so before anyone accuses me of self promoting they are wrong 🙄

Just had my 4 bed detached house in Devon done by http://www.everwarm.co.uk

They used a almost “marshmallow type foam and we can feel the differance

Total cost £0000 , zero , nothing yep fugg all[/u] and we both work so it is not like we are on benifits 😀

joao3v16
    Free Member

British Gas do it free of charge if you’re a customer

British Gas do it free of charge if you’re not a customer too 8)

teef
    Free Member

They used a almost “marshmallow type foam and we can feel the differance

Like how – maybe the weather got a bit warmer – I think we need something a bit more scientific than your feelings

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Heatpac are doing our house tomorrow. no doubt by Thursday someone will have replied saying they’re charlatans.

Strange, guy comes around, looking official saying they would do it for free through grants from Scottish power. He was from Warmzone, I think. Then they use suppliers.

I’ve got a slight “alarm bells” tingling. Don’t know if the spidersense is wrong or not.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Seems my spider sense might have misfired. Look for CIGA ceritified cavity wall insulating companies. http://www.ciga.co.uk

That’s what my google turns up, so I’m no expert.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

my GF’s son had it done this morning in a rental property, got off to a great start by drilling a hole in the wall outside directly underneath an obvious boiler flue, problem was the wall it’s mounted on is on a single skin extension, drill bit meets water supply pipe to boiler interface. As we were upstairs watching TV the had not only started a leak they had then inserted the nozzle and had started to fill the kitchen with insulation.

Frank Spencer would have done a better job….

totalshell

got ours free from edf all the rest in the street have stumped up between 149 and 175. houses are only 9 years old but when i checked with counicl they said they needed doing!!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hopefully nobody else will need this information, but the two quotes I’ve had for removing all the mineral wool insulation from my house are around £4500

🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Cavity wall insulation’ is closed to new replies.