Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Caustic Soda to Remove Anodising…Any Reason Not To?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Been looking online at how dipping Anodised bike components in caustic soda removes the anodising, any reason not to dip my saint cranks before polishing?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It dissolves aluminum, that’s what anodizing is, it’s color in the surface of aluminum.

It’s incredibly nasty, be very careful handling it, thick gloves, well ventilated area and ALWAYS add caustic to water, never the other way around if you value your good looks, and have a bottle/bucket of fresh clean water to hand in case of emergencies.

oldnpastit

I put a seat post in that stuff, dissolved most of it away.

nwill1
    Free Member

So it will be ok providing its in for only as long as is necessary to remove the paint?

I will be extremely causious with goggles etc, will household marigold gloves protect me?

nwill1
    Free Member

How long was the seatpost in for?

crapjumper
    Free Member

I soaked some parts in mr muscle oven cleaner for a couple of hours and they came out spot on

ssboggy

I did some tatty black middleburn RS 7s, as mentioned above its very nasty stuff. I only left them in about 10 to 15 mins and used a scourer to help get it off. You should be fine with marigolds.
    You’ll know pretty quickly if you get any on you 🙂
    Rinse them well then varying grades of wet n dry to remove scratches and the polish with Autosol or something similar

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I did a set of XT cranks a couple of years ago. In the solution for a couple of minuted till they all went black. Took them out, rinsed and polished. Looked ace and no children were harmed in the process or in their use afterwards.

nwill1
    Free Member

I found out about the caustic soda (lye as the call it in the us) on PB, there is a guy who had a set of SLX polished, but Internet appears sceptical of the use around aluminium, quite a few clip on you tube though.

I’m going to go for it, I’ve got some autosol too, will try and sort photos when done.

T1000
    Free Member

Clean and degrease 1st to ensure an even finish

mattsccm
    Free Member

Slow. Works well. good for getting grease out of your hands. Stings like hell but effective.

Baznav
    Free Member

caustic soda is what you use just in the right consentration, I’ve stripped and re-anodized loads of bits.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I can vouch for oven cleaner too, I think OvenBrite? Used it loads of times to remove anodizing. It does leave the surface dull, but some elbow grease afterwards with wet and dry paper, starting at 240 and working your way to 1500 works well. If you have an angle grinder handy, get yourself a 3M Roloc backing pad, 75mm with a fine Scotchbrite disc.
    Quick spray of WD40 and this takes off anodizing too, plus gets the surface back to a point where you can go straight to 1500 grit wet and dry, ready to polish.
    Less dangerous mess, but do wear a good mask!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Caustic Soda to Remove Anodising…Any Reason Not To?’ is closed to new replies.