Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Caught by mobile speed camera in Rep Ireland do I get points on my uk licence?
  • Wookster

Cocked up on my mph KmH calculations…so caught by a camera Van doing 60mph in a 80 KmH zone. It’s in my Uk Reg car does anyone know if I’ll get points on my uk licence?

Bang to rights my fault, but could do with out the points….

Euro
    Free Member

Can’t say for sure. I know they can transfer points on NI regs after a deal with the PSNI/DLVA NI was struck a few years back but not sure if anything was agreed across the water. I know this as we regularly went to the free state on motorbike joilles and despite being caught numerous times for minor miscalculations in our mph/khm readings 😉 and only actually got done once in 2007 after the deal was struck (was money not points). Best bet is to wait and see what the postie brings. Chances are you’ll be fine (PUN!!!)

Wookster

LoL thanks Euro!

andy4d

I have not been done for a few years now but the last 2 times I was caught in Ireland I had an Irish reg car but my UK license. I had to pay the fine ( as I live in Ireland and didn’t want any trouble that way) but when I went to the cop shop to pay and showed my UK license they just took the cash and sent me on my way as the system had no way of accepting a UK license. Now things may of changed over the years, my folks got a ticket sent to Scotland for not paying a road toll in Ireland, so they can track UK car registration numbers now, but don’t think they can do points. I think if they do send you a ticket you may just have to pay the fine (if you want, not sure if they can make you in the uk)

Wookster

Thanks all,

Happy to pay any fine. Be even happier to pay the fine and not get points!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Very unlikley I would say for either points or a even a fine. It does depend upon the specific deal between Ire and UK though.

FWIW (not much maybe) the super efficient Swiss have followed up with me to UK twice for speed camera tickets. Fine no points. I paid up but I do wonder whether they would have ever tried to pursue through courts but as I am a regular traveller I thiught it better jist to pay. France over 15 years I have been flashed many times and never had a ticket sent to UK. Even been stopped by a motorbike cop (allegedly super tough) and just got a telling off. Again I understand the French are now able to get driver details from dvla but their ability to put points on a UK licence is very unclear.

sv

Euro I think the deal fell through, thankfully 🙂

Ambrose

@jambalaya- nice to know that. I got flashed last week near Arras. My license has been sparkly clean for quite a few years and I like it that way tbh. The flash reminded me that I really do need to slow down though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP BTW just use a mobile phone app (we use Waze) and set units to kph, you don’t need data and it shows speed. I’m lucky as my car has a switchable digital speedo, complicated to keep track in France with limits at 30, 50, 70, 90, 110 and 130 !

timba
    Free Member
    sv

Hoping the MLAs can keep them out 🙂

Mutual recognition of penalty points between the UK, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man already exists. The North South Ministerial Council are examining the recognition of penalty points between Northern Ireland and Ireland.

Saccades
    Free Member

No they don’t.

Otherwise the missus would be cycling everywhere.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Caught by mobile speed camera in Rep Ireland do I get points on my uk licence?’ is closed to new replies.