Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Cats been gone for 2 days, how long before I start worrying?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Actually its too late as I am already worrying.

Its the longest hes been out, havnt sen him since Monday morning, and its been raining which is unusual as he normally comes in in the wet.

Me and the wife have been round and checked al his usual spots and checked all the roads in the vicinity and hes not on, or lying by any of them.

Hoping he is just out hunting rabbits (there are tonnes around us) or maybe shut in a neighbors garage.

So how long before i put some posters up or call the local vets/cat shelters?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

or maybe shut in a neighbors garage

I assume you've already asked all your neighbours?

I'd phone the vets and shelters now to be honest.

cranberry
    Free Member

I'd call the shelters now – let them know to keep an eye out for him – is he chipped?

Judging by our own cats there's a good chance that he has got in somewhere and has been locked in – might be worth printing up some flyers and putting them through letter boxes in your street and those on either side.

Good luck, hope he turns up soon.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    organic355
    Free Member

I assume you've already asked all your neighbours?

Not yet, will do tonight

I'd call the shelters now – let them know to keep an eye out for him – is he chipped?

Just called one shelter and no sign of him, and yes he is chipped.

Going to call all the local vets this afternoon.

organic355
    Free Member

Come Home Frankie!!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Awww, hope he's just trapped in someones house/garage somewhere. I'd be worrying after 1 night TBH – in decades of owning cats we only had one go missing for 2 days once.

bigG
    Free Member

Good luck with this one, if it's any comfort at all ours would go missing for 4 – 5 days at a time around this time of year because the baby bunny hunting season has just opened. We'd occasionally catch a sight of her belting across the playing field across from our house in full pursuit of dinner.

She would always come back after a few days, usually filthy but happy to be back. In my experience she'd always come in exactly 30seconds after you've put some nice clean white bed linen on the bed. Oh how we laughed as she trampled her filthy paws all over it….

epicyclo

It's spring. He's probably doing what all boy cats like to do…

uplink
    Free Member

One of ours once wandered back in – as if nothing had ever happened – 18 months after he left

solarider
    Free Member

Cats will be cats. If you live in a heavily populated area with busy roads, I can understand your concern. But I have had cats go missing for 5 days. Your comfort should come from the time of year and the weather. After months of cold weather, he is probably just out enjoying himself.

Good luck though.

ski
    Free Member

Organic355

I would put posters up NOW.

Mention the Street you live in, if Frankie has a chip fitted, give them a call, some good advice here:

http://www.catchat.org/lost.html

We went throught the same thing at the weekend, we lost our daughters new 10 month old kitten for two days!

We put notes through all our neighbour doors, some 80 odd flyers, plus signs on all the lamp posts on all the surround streets.

We had lots of calls.

We heard him crying on Monday night at 2am in the morning to get in!

Fully fed, smelt of purfume, my guess is he was locked in somewhere.

Hopefully Frankie will do the same and find his way home soon.

grumm
    Free Member

Our cat buggered off for about 4 days a week or two ago – def something about this time of year – he's a boy as well. Had rung round all the vets/rescue centres etc, been round all our neighbours and were just about to make some posters. Came home and he was sat on the table looking pretty well fed and groomed – I reckon the cheeky fecker was in some old lady's house getting pampered.

Mackem

Our cat disappeard for a while, he was in the neighbours Transit van. Left them a couple of gifts too.

organic355
    Free Member

It's spring. He's probably doing what all boy cats like to do…

Hes been neutered!

rkk01
    Free Member

Neutered tom – I'd be worried.

un-neutered, less so

grumm
    Free Member

Mine's been neutered too. I seem to remember he went missing for a few days at a similar time last year.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Cats are rubbish. Get a dog……….Or a Llama.

avdave2

You'd better check spacemonkey's shed!

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Hope he comes back, Are kitten is 7 months old now and has never been out and thats the way its staying but I hope you find him.. When he come's back then just keep him in so it doesnt happen again

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Neutered or not, cats still go for a wander – especially this time of year. Remember also that cats have no loyalty to you whatsover – you are a mere slave. Most cats in poplulated areas will have a few hangout places where they get fed and fussed over.

Hope he turns up soon.

organic355
    Free Member

Still no sign of him, and not in neighbors garages 🙁

just done some posters.

ajantom

Longest my boy Macleash has been away has been is about 9 days. He seems to do it once or twice a year.

So, yes be a bit worried, but also be aware that boy cats do wander and he'll probably just turn up in a day or two as if nothing has happened.

JAM29er
    Free Member

(content removed)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I get worried if it's more than 6 hours 😐 This time of year does seem to make a difference – I've been having a lot of trouble getting one of mine in. Even though I know he's hungry he's been staying out much longer, I suspect it's the sudden warm weather we've been having – he's been grounded for a few days now………cause I can't go to bed til the little fecker's in !

If you do any more posters, I would offer a reward – it will make kids more interested in looking for him.

Good luck.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Are kitten is 7 months old now and has never been out and thats the way its staying

That's just cruelty for an animal that is used to having a large territory and walking about in it. I know someone else who keeps their cats in, they seem to think they're happy but anyone looking from the outside in can see they're climbing the walls and desperate just to get out and have a little fun even though they've known nothing else since birth.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Any news?

grumm
    Free Member

That's just cruelty for an animal that is used to having a large territory and walking about in it.

I agree – cats love stalking around outside.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

I thought Cats owned the Humans and trained them to feed them and look after them as and when they decide to go back to that particular slave …..

ski
    Free Member

Far to many bees and other things to chase about at the moment.

I think thats how ours got into trouble.

organic355 – another thought, check with your Postie too, also have you had any delivery vans recently, when I worked the vans, I had a extra delivery to return back to his home once 😉

Hope he comes back soon…

organic355
    Free Member

UPDATE!!! he's back!!!!!

I am away on business but the wife and the inlaws went out looking for hours today and put up loads of posters.
    Didnt find anything so the wife went back out after tea. Went back to the spot we found him a few weeks ago and there he was stalking rabbits!!!

He's totally fine and has a pot belly (rabbit not worms I hope), still didn't stop him devouring 2 packets of whiskas and a tin of tuna fish though!!

In his usual spot on his puffee sleeping it off, until next time I guess? And will I get as worried next time? Of course!!! :-))

organic355
    Free Member

Ps thanks for all the support and advice!

God knows what I will be like when ihave kids!!!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nice one!

My sister lost her cat for 5 days – then he sauntered back.

grievoustim
    Free Member

That's just cruelty for an animal that is used to having a large territory and walking about in it.
    I agree – cats love stalking around outside.

if you look on US cat forums (I was searching for advice on a cat issue I had at the time) they are very down on cats being allowed out – they regard it as being cruel and dangerous for the cat, and seem to spend loads building runs and stuff for them

very odd

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Good news!
    Ours keep coming back with a big belly but still nag for more food when they get in too!

ski
    Free Member

Result!

RustySpanner

Thank God for that.

Personally, I thought he'd gone to Hollywood………

organic355
    Free Member

Not Hollywood, but if you could see him now frankie would be most definitely saying "RELAX" 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pleased to hear he's back. I'll tell you my story now! We had a tabby which was a bit feral, lived in the house but was even more independent than most cats. Anyway she went missing for 4 nights then finally appeared…with a rabbit snare around her middle! We cut it off & took her to the vet who checked her out & said she seemed ok, a few days later she was laid in the sun & my dad noticed a problem, the skin round her stomach had split wide open! Back to the vet again, he couldn't even stitch the wound as it was dead skin from being tightly snared so he bandaged her up as best he could & gave us some powder to sprinkle on. She made a full recovery but ever since then she'd have your hand off if you tried to tickle her belly!
    Talk about nine lives, that was one out the way. She was 18 when she died.

Eccles
    Free Member

Yay. That is all.

bigG
    Free Member

well that's a hearty sigh of relief in the BigG household. Always glad to hear of a safe return. The perfect excuse for a dram and a cigar. I salute you and your errant moggy.

G

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Cats been gone for 2 days, how long before I start worrying?’ is closed to new replies.