Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Catholic Church
  • alwyn
    Free Member

Over 2,000 children neglected and abused; physically, emotionally and sexually. I find it horrific that these men and women get away with such awful acts. Any other Paedophile would be jailed, why do these sick people get away with just saying sorry?

They should be named, shamed and put behind bars for the rest of their miserable lives. Once again it is one set of laws for us and one for the church. I do not how they can call themselves an organisation who preach morals and justice.

nickc

Did they do these things because they were members of the Catholic church.

alwyn
    Free Member

No, but they get away with it because they are members of the church.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Did they do these things because they were members of the Catholic church.

Kind of, it’s what happens when you tell people to not have sex then put them in charge of children?

GrahamS

Quite interesting listening to a bloke on “Midweek” on Radio 4 this morning. He had suffered abuse by a priest when he was 14.

He spoke quite eloquently about how the church and priesthood were so embedded into the fabric of life where he grew up that it was literally unthinkable that such a thing was happening and was so unreal to him that he thought he must be going insane.

He spoke of another boy who told his mother what was happening to him and his own mother attacked him. 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No, but they get away with it because they are members of the church.

The leader of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales, the Most Reverend Vincent Nichols, said those who perpetrated violence and abuse should be held to account, “no matter how long ago it happened”.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It’s odd, I wouldn’t characterise it as abuse, but the parish priest at my Catholic school would touch any boys he could get hold of, and it was normal to see a crowd running away from him. It would never have occurred to me to tell anyone about it – I mean – he was the figure of authority…

kimbers

just read that of the €1.2 bn bill the irish government has set aside for compensation the catholic church will contribute just €120 million

the mind boggling thing for me is that there will be no prosecutions on the basis of the report
    nor will the courts who ‘sentenced’ these children, the education authorities and religious orders who colluded or covered them up be investigated

wtf!!!

alwyn
    Free Member

SFB – I’m pretty sure thats counted as sexual abuse. See another one, it’s just amazing how rooted the abuse is. Yet no one blinks an eyelid. What if it was your 8 year old son the preists touched and raped?

kimbers

personally i think they should crucify every paedo priest the convict

alwyn
    Free Member

I agree with Kimbers, burn them like they burnt the Cathars.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…leader of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales…

And therein lies the problem Ernie. If these people were based in England and Wales, then I have no doubt they’d be held to account long ago.

However, it’s hard for anyone who doesn’t realise just how much the church and state were entwined in Ireland to understand how the perpetrators were allowed to get away with this for so long. We’re talking about a country where the government “had” to consult the church hierarchy before passing any major legislation. Jeez, I could go on for paragraphs and paragraphs about the reasons why those who were members of the church lived above questioning by the general populace. The church thrived on ignorance and poverty (think Africa and AIDS for something currently happening) – and in the Irish population, they found a fairly ill-educated and extremely poor people, especially in the rural areas – where most of the Irish still lived until the last few decades when mass urbanisation began.

It angers me that it was the Catholic church involved but it angers me perhaps even more that the state colluded. Everybody was afraid to take on the church. Hell, I’m only in my late thirties and when we were kids, we were scared to death of a priest scolding us and believed the fire and brimstone that the more maniacal ones spouted from the pulpits every Sunday. Our parents were even more sh1t-scared of them and of course, their fears were visited upon us.

My mother taught in Christian Brother run schools (not the state run industrial ones that were being investigated) and I went to a Christian Brother run secondary school. By this time, corporal punishment had been banned but it seemed to go over certain brothers’ heads. Some of them regularly beat the living daylights out of some of my contemporaries – and the sad thing now when I look back on it, was guys were regularly beaten for “being a bit thick” or “not understanding”. How I’d love to go back and kick seven colours of shite out of some of them, the evil bastards. Some of them were nutters…whether the order attracted nutters or the idea of living in a close community of just men turned them that way, we’ll never know. The industrial schools were gone by the time I went through school but I remember hearing stories from truck drivers, when I used to hitch lifts around Ireland, that had been subjected to some of the abuse we’re hearing about now…it made me sick. And my mum could turn your stomach talking about some of the brothers she worked under all her life…again this was just in state schools, not the schools for the really naughty kids.

FFS, I’ve got to stop…I’ve spent the day spitting blood with every report and interview. It’s a shameful day and I suspect a very painful one for some of the people who have not dealt with the scars properly and are looking at fresh mental wounds today.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SFB – I’m pretty sure thats counted as sexual abuse

I wasn’t excusing what he did in any way, though as I recall at the time we mostly thought of it as funny. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that he did worse, given the opportunity.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Lets get a grip here. It’s easy to get angry and say lets torture, maim and kill them but unless your the killing torturing type you may as well just put a sock in it or think of something else to say.

It is utterly disgusting and the guilty should be severely punished – even if it means throwing 90 year olds at deaths door into jail then so be it. **** them.

Anyway, I can’t fathom how anyone could ever go to mass after this (or after the whole thing blew up 15 years ago) especially seeing how the church as an organization has closed ranks. Any priest with self respect should leave in protest. They are all complicit imo. Scum of the worst kind.

GrahamS

I wasn’t excusing what he did in any way, though as I recall at the time we mostly thought of it as funny.

Bloke on the radio was talking about that too. Everyone knew what was going on and made jokes about it: “Don’t bend over when Father Fiddlee is about” etc

He said that by making jokes and gossip about it they effectively absolved themselves of the responsibility to actually do something about it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

they effectively absolved themselves of the responsibility to actually do something about it.

I don’t think you could expect the children to take any responsibility…

GrahamS

Sorry I meant that he felt the adults knew to some extent, but joked and gossiped about it.

WTF
    Free Member

Best not wear my fancy dress costume I have this weekend then !

{Removed} – Mod

alwyn
    Free Member

WTF you may joke, but is abusing 2000 kids really that funny?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I cannot conceive that that costume does anything other than condone child abuse 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

WTF, I think you might need “when and where it’s appropriate to post…” lessons.

WTF
    Free Member

Oh yes, Catholic church in child abuse shocker.
    I heard we beat the Germans again at war again also.
    I heart STW.

Morpheus00
    Free Member

Any institution that approbates abuse is corrupt.. whether it’s a religious, political or educational organisation. Those who close ranks to protect their own are as guilty as the perpetrators IMHO.

I just think it’s odd that the OP led with ‘Catholic Church’ as opposed to the main issue: child abuse. I’d find it odd leading with ‘Schools!’ if it was about abuse in the education system. Tarring all with the same brush isn’t helpful. IF the majority of the catholic clergy are guilty then there’s an argument for bringing down the whole edifice, but facts and statistics are the ground for that debate not hearsay and rumour. Comments suggesting that those who are celibate are a greater risk around children are at best unhelpful, at worst prejudiced.

as for making a ‘fancy dress joke’ out of child abuse … WTF?!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thanks Mods…for once.

alwyn
    Free Member

You don’t understand what I am really saying, if it was child abuse in education then the perpetrators would be named, shamed and jailed. The more serious problem is the fact that these people are exempt of any kind of abuse laws simply because they are members of a corrupt religious organisation.

They have refused to publish names and refused to prosecute these people. They should not be above the law and should be jailed for their crime, like any other person in education convicted for abusing children would be.

gusamc
    Free Member

There’s a theme here isn’t there, institutional abuse and again it appears that the govmt didn’t and won’t do anything about it.

Truly, truly deplorable.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I guess it’s worth saying it was the Irish government and not the British one…sorry if you already knew

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I would argue that the majority of catholic clergy knew about the abuse and chose not to act either through coercion, cowardice or self interest

the same goes for the state institutions who allowed it to continue

the reason that there are no prosecutions is that they would not know where to stop, the majority of the Irish establishment of the time could be implicated and by association every educated adult.

They are in mass denial and Godwins Law applies

simonralli2
    Free Member

I’d like to see all Catholics in Ireland leave the church immediately. Can’t see that happening but if it did I am sure there would be a proper response rather than just say sorry and convict no-one.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Although not abused as such, i went to a catholic school and was strapped on a regular basis because I was dim, rarely because I was naughty. Some christian brothers clearly took delight.

I despise the catholic church and in particular Christian Brothers who aren’t christian at all.

I hope they all get cancer, well most of them anyway.

rs
    Free Member

wow! thats shocking! just read the story on the bbc site, i’ve never been a fan of the church or religion in general! its just a socially accepted cult!

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

About time their top man or at least his spokesman in Rome spoke out and condemned all the child molesters to a good smiting or whatever puts the fear in them

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and condemned all the child molesters to a good smiting or whatever puts the fear in them

there’s one small problem – Jesus’s main theme was forgiveness – it was the Old Testament god that was into smiting – though one might be forgiven for thinking that the tradition had been maintained…

CountZero

Truly appalling, and another manifestation of the twisted mindset that produced the Magdalene Laundries. While I would say I have a sort of spiritual side to me, it’s reading of this kind of thing that has kept me away from any kind of established religion. If there is a Greater Power, and there is truly any justice in this universe, then I would hope that these perverts get what they deserve. What goes around comes around.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

to my mind punishment is irrelevant – full exposure of the crimes, and more to the point, effective measures to prevent recurrence are what matter. Once the abuse has taken place it cannot be undone. But isn’t it hypocritical to call down vengence on abusers whilst condoning pointless foreign occupations involving not merely abuse but wholesale killing ?

rs
    Free Member

SFB, try telling the people that were abused that punishment is irrelevant! quite a few of them seem quite understandably pissed off that they are getting off with this. Other issues around the world are irrelevant to this, those responsible should be dealt with in some form or another.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And therein lies the problem Ernie. If these people were based in England and Wales, then I have no doubt they’d be held to account long ago.

I can’t comment on Ireland DD. But I can comment on my own experiences. I had a pretty profoundly catholic upbringing and from infant school onwards I was in a lot of contact with priests, nuns, and brothers. Not just in school but also in catholic youth organisations such as scouts, and others.

I never experience any abuse whatsoever. In fact the opposite is true. I lived in a house where emotional abuse and/or gratuitous violence was a daily occurrence and the only relief I got from it was through youth activities organised by the catholic church. And as a consequence my only fond memories of childhood are associated with those activities, something for which I will always be eternally grateful for. Without going into details, it was the knowledge that I could go to the priest house in my darkest hours where I knew I would get support, which helped me keep my sanity.

It is probably for those reasons that I have somewhat irrational attitudes towards paedophile priests. Because whilst I am a very strong opponent of capital punishment, I would quite happily have all paedophile priests shot. For me paedophile priests represent the ultimate abuse of trust. And they simply don’t deserve to live imo.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Pat Condell – Catholic morality

This guys sums it up! (with edgy humour)

He grew up with Catholicism and it was this that enabled him to see the light – there is no light, no God!

Aetheism – the only rational way chaps, but do and believe as you wish.

I like the quote on Pat Condell’s website “Hi. I’m Pat Condell. I don’t respect your beliefs or care if you’re offended. Cheers!” – classic!

Peace! 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If these people were based in England and Wales

hasn’t there been a long running case on systematic child abuse by police officers and others in North Wales??

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

hasn’t there been a long running case on systematic child abuse by police officers and others in North Wales??

Has there ? So what does that prove – that the catholic church investigates systematic child abuse in England and Wales, or that it doesn’t ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Catholic Church’ is closed to new replies.