Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Catching burglars…
  • Flaperon

Anyone else watching the program on burglary on BBC1? Capture houses, SmartWater etc…

Only one thing stands out: whenever a burglar is caught on CCTV, the police simply look at the tape and identify the burglar by their faces! 8% of criminals commit 85% of crimes was one of the stats quoted.

How do you possibly rehabilitate such prolific offenders into society?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get ’em off the smack – or just give them the smack

tails
    Free Member

Put them in prison, surely many minor thefts should equal a major crime.

loum
    Free Member

Cut their hands off.

Bregante

I’m watching this. The team I’m on does exactly this kind of work but thankfully in not such an obvious way. Can’t believe Notts have been happy to show this level of detail tbh.

alexpalacefan

+1 TJ, absolutely god damn right!

Or, just legalise it. Problem solved.

APF

mefty
    Free Member

Get them to train the other 92% who are massively under-performing, after the training, assuming a 100% improvement by the other lot, they will only committing 74% of the crimes – now that’s joined up thinking.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tails – Member

Put them in prison, surely many minor thefts should equal a major crime.

Unfortunately it will make absolutely eff all difference if they are smackheads as most burglers are. They simply will go straight back to theft. Its expensive anyway to jail them.

for the cost to the country of all the crime and of all the wasted judicial system effort we could select a nice island for them and fly in food an smack an let them get on with it. Or pretty much any other way of giving them the smack and letting them be boring smackheads all they want.

tazzymtb

add anthrax to the smack, problem solved.

aracer
    Free Member

Unfortunately it will make absolutely eff all difference if they are smackheads as most burglers are. They simply will go straight back to theft.

Not if they’re in prison they won’t.

tails
    Free Member

for the cost to the country of all the crime and of all the wasted judicial system effort we could select a nice island for them and fly in food an smack an let them get on with it. Or pretty much any other way of giving them the smack and letting them be boring smackheads all they want.

Imagine that lol! Perhaps the Falklands, then give it back to Argentina! 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aracer – £30 000+ a year to keep ’em in there – how long you gonna lock’em up for

Tails – like your style.

tazzymtb

if they are smackheads as most burglers are

we managed and prided ourselves on the fact that we would never fk over joe normal because of our habbits.

That’s just lazy thinking TJ and frankly demonstrates that you really do know cock all about being a drug addict

chewkw
    Free Member

OD them …? 😈

They will depart happy …

loum
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member
    add anthrax to the smack, problem solved.

Illegal drugs poisoned by government tampering? It’ll never catch on.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2010/02/the_chemists_war.single.html

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tazzy – I am not just lazy generalising here – I have worked with them. I have seen the research. I have ben interested in the field for a long time

Were you are a real smackhead? £50+ a day habit? Hard to get that money witout crime

Not all smackheads behave like this I know but the prolific petty thieves tend to be smackheads. Its not “most smackheads are prolific theives” but “most prolific thieves are smackheads”

Its estimated that 70% of all low level burglary is smackheads. certainly almost all the ones I saw arrested were and I saw hundreds of arrests and the same faces time and time again.

there was a very interesting project done in Brighton on this. they identified the dozen most prolific thieves -all smackheads / alckies IIRC and put lots of resources into them – getting them help off drugs or stable on methodone, etc etc. petty theft in the area dropped dramatically. I’ll see if I can find it.

the easiest way to stop petty theft is to take give heroin addicts tehir fix

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

this was the one

Government figures show that 10% of drug addicts commit 75% of all acquisitive crime – offences such as robbery and burglary – in Brighton and other cities every year.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

127 heroin users for whom conventional treatment had failed took part in the scheme, and the results clearly show that prohibiting an action is not the best method to make it go away. At the start of the trial addicts reported carrying out 1731 offences a month, but after six months this had fallen by 2/3 to 547. While participants spent on average £300 a week on street drugs at the start of the trial, by the end this had decreased to about £50.

Nearly two thirds of crime is drug-related, and the legalisation of heroin and other drugs will eradicate entire black markets and cause levels of petty crime to plummet. By legalising narcotics, the cost to society that their abuse causes is reduced. Transform Drug Policy’s latest report shows that if heroin was regulated the cost to society could drop by nearly 14bn due to a fall in the costs of crime, health and social care.

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/justice-and-civil-liberties/riott

tails
    Free Member

So what did the government do with the study, nothing?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don’t know.

its the sort of thing that gets the tablods going – “thousands spent on holidays for junkies”

cbike
    Free Member

….And then afghanistan might become more stable as a result? (my theory)

More drugs analysis here.

http://www.freakonomics.com/books/freakonomics/chapter-excerpts/chapter-3/

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its certainly possible – trying to cut the supply without cutting demand aint worked

konabunny
    Free Member

Not if they’re in prison they won’t.

If there’s one place that people addicted to heroin are not going to “straighten out”, it’s prison.

easygirl

We had a prolific burglar on my beat, out most nights.he got £4 k off the council as a payout.he didn’t commit a crime for 5 months.soon as his money ran out and he needed money for gear he was back thieving.
    Heroin is the devils work

footflaps

Either lock em up and throw away the key – or legalise heroin….

konabunny
    Free Member

he got £4 k off the council as a payout.he didn’t commit a crime for 5 months.soon as his money ran out and he needed money for gear he was back thieving.

It’d cost a lot less than a grand a month for the state to dispense heroin directly to the heroin addicts than the addict currently costs everyone in theft, insurance, repairs, police attendance, police investigation (if it’s worth it), the frequent search, the regular arrest, the occasional prosecution, the bail, the odd incarceration in one form or another, the probation, and the lost economic product and tax payments of the burglars, the fences, the dealers and the importers, I’d reckon.

(For clarity: I’m not criticising what you’re saying, easygirl – I am making a follow on point).

tails
    Free Member

We had a prolific burglar on my beat, out most nights.he got £4 k off the council as a payout.he didn’t commit a crime for 5 months.soon as his money ran out and he needed money for gear he was back thieving.

Could he not have been tagged, so you know where he is during thieving hours. They should be tracked 24/7 as his bag of skag is my £1000+ push bike, hobby and many hours spent at work.

kayak23

Give them more benefits, enough to fund their smack habits, oh, and a widescreen with Sky+ too, and 24 cans of lager…

bren2709

TJ – back to your initial posts.
    Where do you get that most burglars are smackheads, have you never herd of career criminals this is how they make there living? Note make a living not feed there habit!

I would chop there hands off, but then you would start telling me that they have “RIghts” just like Foxes!

Oh and where do you get all your soap boxes from? 😆

big_scot_nanny

IIRC here in Switzerland they give the drugs away for free. Not entirely sure how it works, pretty sure I can’t walk up to one of the clinics after a big night out and demand a spliff to chill for a bit.

but, apart from the shock of drug use being quite open (it’s very obvious in Basel around the areas where it is dispensed), there does appear to be a correspondingly, and quite startlingly, low crime rate.

It exists for course, a lot of what does happen gets blamed on French or Germans coming over the border, but it definitely has a hugely positive impact.

There are more things with Swiss society that affect crime than just free drugs, but I would guess it is a major factor.

Kev

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bren – from the research in the journals? From personal experience working in the criminal justice system? From personal experience working with junkies? From the experiences of the likes of Easygirl – an honest copper?

Click on the links.

yes there are career criminals. they are not usually the type to get involved in petty theft, housebreaking and shoplifting. The sort of crimes that blight communities re often done by junkies – 70% is the usually accepted figure. that’s not 70% by value but by occurrence.

FuzzyWuzzy

It’s about time we start off-shoring our jails to places like India, would be more of a deterrent and cost a lot less, can’t say I’d lose any sleep over the conditions they’d be kept in.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Can’t we just dump em on the Falklands. About time we found a use for the place.

soulwood
    Free Member

We had a prolific burglar on our beat. 13 yrs old. He could squeeze up a drainpipe and would rob all the students blind of their laptops and ithingys. He had a cannabis habit and I reckon was being ripped off by his dealer as he clearly stole more than he got in cannabis. Either that or he just enjoyed it.

konabunny
    Free Member

Give them more benefits, enough to fund their smack habits, oh, and a widescreen with Sky+ too, and 24 cans of lager…

Do you want a solution that’s morally satisfying or do you want a solution that works?

alfabus
    Free Member

He could squeeze up a drainpipe

Jebus! He should spend some of his money on food!

jonba
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy – Member
    It’s about time we start off-shoring our jails to places like India, would be more of a deterrent and cost a lot less, can’t say I’d lose any sleep over the conditions they’d be kept in.

How can it cost £30,000 to keep someone in jail, I’m sure it can be done cheaper – I like the idea of offshoring.

globalti
    Free Member

Surely the reason why no Government will ever legalise and tax drugs is that the profits from the manufacture and supply would go to a bunch of raghead farmers who do not wear business suits and do not play golf or belong to a gentlemen’s club?

How deeply ingrained in centuries of Scottish society is the manufacture and sale of whisky and the distribution of the profits? How would you create a respectable infrastructure like that overnight in the recreational drugs business?

Rather an over-simplification but I’m sure you get my drift.

aracer
    Free Member

I like the idea of offshoring.

We have a long tradition of sending our convicts abroad <waves at psychle>

elzorillo
    Free Member

So lets get this straight..

I’m living in a society where there are a group of people who offer me two options.. they will take my stuff to feed their drug habit unless I pay for their drug habit through my taxes?

I’d prefer to pay for them to be locked up and PROPERLY supervised!

Throw away the key for all I care.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Catching burglars…’ is closed to new replies.