Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cat Pee
  • bobster
    Free Member

After advise on methods of cleaning up so it doesn’t become the 2nd loo.

One of our cats is a little precocious, and it seems the tray wasn’t clean enough for her, so she’s peed on carpet.

We did our best to clean up. I’m sure I heard talk of using bicarbonate of soda, so rubbed that in, then hovered up a day later, then liberally soaked with ‘Urine OFF’ (I kid you not, they missed a trick on the branding there).

All seemed OK, until today, a week later, she’s done it again.

This time I’ve pulled the carpet up, and soaked it with the urine off from behind. Soaked the floor boards too. Going to throw away the patch of underlay and replace with a new bit.

Any other advise?

And if it’s now becoming a behavioural thing… help?!?

Bregante

I can’t offer much advice but ours did the same in January, resulting in us having to pull up a couple of metres of laminate flooring. As you say bicarb is recommended but we had some success with citronella oil. We just put a few drops in a burner in our hall where she was peeing. cats hate it.

We also took her to the vet who ruled out any health issues but she has said she is stressed. A stressed cat!

We think it’s been brought on by a new cat moving in two doors down which is much bigger and more aggressive than ours. We had to cover up the bottom of the glass in our patio doors because this cat would come in the garden and look into the house.

6 months on and she is much better but we do still have the odd recurrence so I haven’t got round to replacing the flooring yet….

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m not sure if I can be a lot of help, but I think you’ve chosen the right things to clean up with. Apparently if you use strong-smelling general household cleaners it can make them more likely to wee in the same spot again.
    Perhaps your cat is a it stressed about something? They don’t like change. When we first got our cat, she didn’t use the litter tray and instead she weed on mr pea’s bike (though she seemed quite upset about doing that!). Turned out she was just a bit stressed about the move to a new place.
    You could try feliway- that helps cats chill out a bit, if you think she could be stressed.

palmer77
    Free Member

Catnip in the garden?

jamj1974

Poor cats… 😥

wallop

Biological washing powder – kills the enzymes in the pee and gets rid of the leftover scent.

Also get a Feliway diffuser – really good at reducing anxiety in cats.

Xylene
    Free Member

Our new cat peed and pooed on our sofa, I found it at 5am, by 5:02am I had cut the offending piece of sofa material away with the bread knife and eliminated the problem happening again. Cleaned the floor underneath.

Around 6pm on returning home and seeing the hole, I had thoughts that spraying it with vinegar initially might have been a better idea.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cat Pee’ is closed to new replies.