Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cassettes – XT
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Just looking to buy a new 9spd cassette and am pretty horrified by the prices (~£50)

Ive got Hope ProII hubs and my friend has Hope XC, so im looking at cassettes with the ally spider to prevent excessive damage to the freehub.

Am i better off buying a steel freehub for my ProIIs and then saving a bit in future with cheaper cassettes?

Any advice for cheap deals on cassettes, i need two and would be prepared to buy a couple of spares if it brings the price down a bit.

thx

PJM1974
    Free Member

SLX?

There are some good deals on SRAM 990 cassettes at the moment too.

andyl
    Free Member

SLX has one less ring on the spider and is a lot cheaper for about 20-30g weight penalty ie nothing.

Can be picked up from Rose bikes very cheap but yup, a steel freehub could be a good idea if worried. Maybe buy slx and now and see how it goes then get a new freehub next time? I think the Hope “XT or better” statement was made before SLX came out.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’ve got a new, unused m770 11-32 cassette you could have, say £45?

Edit

Actually you can get them for £45 on CRC, so £40?

rondo101
    Free Member

Rose bikes have XT cassettes for £38, although postage is £6.

I’ve used a SLX cassette on my pro2 & it did start to gouge the freehub body. I’d just remove the cassette after every 2 or 3 rides, clean, grease & re-fit and it never got stuck. I’ve since upgraded to XT, although there are plenty of people online that say they gouge the freehub too.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Just looking to buy a new 9spd cassette and am pretty horrified by the prices (~£50)

Horrified, really?

Been looking myself and I thought the current deals for XT (£45) was pretty darn good actually, especially if the new one last anywhere near as long as my current one – 7 years and counting and I think I paid more for it back then.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Time for a group buy?

soobalias
    Free Member

if i thought i would get seven years use out of a part for £50….. unfortunately i seem to get more like two years and thats probably about four chains*

Anyone know if the older Hope XC hubs** are as easily destroyed? If they were made of sterner stuff i might plump for a couple of SLX’s and start saving for a steel freehub.

*are cheaper chains the issue, i change them when stretched as per chain checker
    **this is on my mates bike so i cant take it apart and have a look

Weight difference is far too small for my riding to notice, im happier with cheaper and longer lasting.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

SRAM PG 980 cassettes have an ally spider and are £37 at Merlin. Been using them on my Hope hub for 4 years

SBrock
    Free Member

SRAM PG 980 cassettes have an ally spider and are £37 at Merlin. Been using them on my Hope hub for 4 years

Same here, I did think about XT but picked up a new PG980 for less than £30 from absolutebikes on ebay!

My PRO2 freehub is fine, but every few rides in winter I do whip it off to clean & lube it!

soobalias
    Free Member

a few more pennies to be saved by going the ebay route, but merlin have been good to me, cheers guys

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cassettes – XT’ is closed to new replies.