Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cassette Removal – Coating
  • Milkie
    Free Member

So I’ve had an idea…

I was thinking of getting couple of cassettes TIN coated… But I need a couple of questions answered first…

Can the PG990 Cassette be dismantled, leaving me with just the sprockets?

Has anyone tried coating a cassette before?

njee20
    Free Member

Clicky

Not something I’ve seen the point of personally. Ti nitride is a low friction coating, so yes it’ll probably stay cleaner, but it’ll cost a fortune, and won’t stop your cassette getting eroded by the grit and crap from your chain.

And no, I don’t think you can remove the sprockets from the alu carrier, they’re riveted on. Chap on Weight Weenies does full titanium, XTR copy cassettes with a TiN coating for c£160 I think.

Milkie
    Free Member

Thats a shame that it doesn’t look like you can take apart a PG990.

I had a look at the PG950, and cannot see any rivets.. So I’m guessing that it can be taken apart.

Can you dismantle Shimano ones?

Hopefully they won’t be anywhere near the price of £160…

njee20
    Free Member

Some of the SRAM ones can be dismantled yes, there are some tiny allen key bolts on the back, same with cheaper Shimano ones. You can’t dismantle LX M580/XT/XTR though, again, they’re riveted to the spider.

Milkie
    Free Member

Wonder if I can drill out the rivets and replace them?

njee20
    Free Member

Possibly, but why bother?!

Milkie
    Free Member

Possibly, but why bother?!

Because I’m becoming a tart..! Thinking a PG990 Gold Cassette with Red Alloy carrier would look very nice!

We use a company at work for TIN coating of parts, so should be able to get it done very cheaply… Thats why I’m bothering! Although I might just get a batch done, if there is any interest.

njee20
    Free Member

Presumably you’re aware that there’s something like 25 rivets to drill and replace? That’s almost certainly going to add weight to a cassette that already weighs more than XT. Then there’s the fact the TiN works far far better on ti cassettes, not steel.

Sadly we don’t share the view that it’ll look good either, but each to his own, good luck!

Offroading
    Free Member

It would look terrible – gold sprokets on a red carrier ??

As far as im aware TiNi coating doesn’t harm the metal like anodizing does to steel etc – so why not just get the whole thing done at once ?

Not that i see the point – TiNi is a low friction coating. It’ll do bugger all in prevent the grit on your chain wearing away at the metal.

takisawa2

I was quoted £120 once for TIN coating some chainrings.
    Would you not need to remove the plating from them first…?
    Sounds a bit tarty but would look spot on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cassette Removal – Coating’ is closed to new replies.