Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cassette free hub issues
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

Hi all, just gone to replace my cassette, but cannot get it off the free hub. seems properly jammed. The first few rings of the cassette came off, but the others seem properly lodged. Tried tapping with hammer, using screwdriver to dislodge, but nothing works.

any ideas or tips to try and get the bugger off?

wwaswas

Aluminium freehub?

You need to try and rotate the cogs back a bit as they’re embedded in the splines on the freehub. Can take a lot of time and effort to sort out but try using a chain weep to save your fingers 🙁

somafunk

Try tapping it carefully against the direction of travel, Cheaper cassettes can dig into soft alloy free hubs (hope etc) and get stuck.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

It is a Hope Pro 2, so assume so?

Have got my gloves and chain whip so been trying to save the hands!

somafunk

Fit an xt cassette with an alloy spider and you won’t have this problem, they’re only a few £ extra.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Will have to have a look at this option, as spend the day fitting a new cassette crankset etc with my hardtail and experiencing the same problem! now doing it with my full suss, both Hope hubs!

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

2 chainwhips – reverse them – pull – 2seconds later – new cassette on and torqued up.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Done! took a lot of tweeting with the screwdriver, hammer and chain whip action.

Free hub though is really mashed!

wwaswas

File the lumps off and use a cassette with a carrier and it’ll be fine 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cassette free hub issues’ is closed to new replies.