Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car/van insurance for an 18yr old……………………….
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

………..is ****' expensive, innit? Daughters boyfriend is trying to insure a 1.3 diesel Vauxhall Combo van and the cheapest fully comp is over £2K!!
    Anyone know a reliable, CHEAPER, company? 😯

ton

£2800 for my lad on his car, he is 18.

Olly
    Free Member

stick his mum on the insurance, that halves it (it did mine at least)

or an older female at least.
    my best prices have been from swift cover this year, and elephant last year 🙂

timber

post office have come up competitive for me before
    is the van business or private?

first car I insured cost half of what my mate was paying for a 1.0 fiesta, it was a 1.6 nissan bluebird, statistically rarely crashed and highly undesirable to tea leaves, but faster, carried more crap and was well comfy

project
    Free Member

NEVER EVER,TAKE OUT INSURANCE WITH AN OLDER DRIVER AS THE MAIN USER.

My dad did many years ago,for my brother and when he crashed the car,the insurance only paid out 3rd party fees,not replacement value of the car,the car was on HP, so my father had to keep paying for something for the next 2 years,that he didnt own,or could even see.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Post Office quoted £4k for a £4k van which, in the first instance, will not be for buisness.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Car insurance tends to be a lot cheaper than van insurance, so perhaps a van aint the best of ideas for a young driver.

Only suggestion I can give it to try Tesco Compare.

paule
    Free Member

Give NFUmutual (national farmers union) a go, they can be surprisingly cheap for vans and landies – an 18 year old student of mine just insured a defender for £700…

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Farmers union would only quote for 25+.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Insuring a van is never cheap..

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Can he drive?

I'm being serious 😉 if he's any good tell him to do his advanced test with the IAM http://www.iam.org.uk

Cost is an absolute bargain at £139 all in.

Assuming he passes he be illegible for big discounts including through the IAMs partner insurer http://www.iamsurety.com. Their standard policy is for over 21s but they will negotiate.

My last Associate (ie guy who I taught) was 19 when he started, 20 when he passed and saved a wopping £800.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

A genuine thanks for the advice, there, AAndy, but

illegible for big discounts

??? PMSL. sorry. 😀

gazman
    Free Member

LORD GREENVILLE AND TON, try a company called motaquote they do an ikube policy for young drivers where they fit a tracker to the car so you are not allowed to drive between 11pm and 5 am my lads was 1287.00 18 yr old first car fully comp number is 01443 420 700.let me know how you get on,

gaz

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car/van insurance for an 18yr old……………………….’ is closed to new replies.