Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Cars you can hide a bike or two in the back of
  • sideshow
    Free Member

Any suggestions? Essentially I’m thinking cars with blacked out windows, or an *enormous* boot with a cover that pulls over it. Alas the boss is not in favour of another van, which is obviously better for bike hiding duties, but deemed too big for the daily commute.

Other requirements would be that it’s a reliable economical car and good value second hand. Can’t be breaking Rule 25 now can we 😉

rocketman
    Free Member

blacked out windows

[quote]*enormous* boot[/quote]

economical

[quote]good value second hand[/quote]Obv Mondeo

reliable

hmm

Gary_M
    Free Member

If I take the wheels of any of my bikes they fit in the boot of my honda accord tourer, with bubble wrap in between I could pile another on top. Pull the cover over and they can’t be seen.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Ford S-Max

Had three over the last 10 years and other than a few teething issues on the first one (it was the introductory year) they’ve been very reliable.

faustus

Got me a Mazda 5. Not that pretty, but good value, blacked out rear windows, very adaptable inside and lots of space. You get sliding rear doors which is great. Mine’s petrol so not very economical, but decent reliable engine.

iainc

Skoda Superb estate – had a poke round one at the garage the other week, couple of bikes would easily go in boot with seat up, wheels off and the load cover over as normal.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Can get a fair amount in the back of Civic with the seats down. Would need a cover or blacked out windows if you like, though not sure Civic’s look right blacked out 😀

Could squeeze stuff in just the boot, though frame sizes these days make it tricky with the length. There’s a spare wheel bay that usually doesn’t have a spare wheel in it unless you buy one so does give extra space. There’s also a gizmo Honda do to mount forks into the well, but then the frame is standing up with seats down doing that, and only one bike in the mount.

Civ’s are v.reliable

funkweasel
    Free Member

Mazda 6 estate. Sport version has tinted rear windows and stuff. Can fit two bikes in the back with the seats down and front wheel removed and just laid on top, or one big bike with no wheels removed.

zinaru
    Free Member

my fat front jones comfortably fits into my wives fiat 500 and there is still plenty room
    (this is not a coded message)

philjunior
    Free Member

My octavia (mk3) will take 1 or 2 bikes with wheels off and saddles dropped/removed. I’m hoping this still applies with my latest build which might have a longer wheelbase. May have to remove the rear mech or more… My Mk2 mondeo hatchback had a slightly more favourably shaped boot though (slightly wider) – I know the estate was even bigger too, I’m not sure how the shape of the newer mondeos compares, I know they’re bigger volume but so is the octavia.

Sundayjumper

I don’t think the OP wants to have to fold seats down. The point is that there must be no clue there’s something in the boot.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Would be no need for the suggested blacked out windows if it’s just in the boot.

sideshow
    Free Member

Boot alone would be preferable! Though I do ride an xl 29er so there’s a challenge.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Hard to look beyond a Mondeo estate…

deadkenny
    Free Member

XXL 29er plus 26er in back of my Civ (plus the XXL tall 29er rider in front comfortably, plus myself driving), plus tools, spares & luggage, but yeah that’s with seats down 😀 . Comfy drive to Alps.

Had bikes stored in back of the car when staying places without much worry. Back up the rear to a wall, cover over the visible bits of the bikes. Parcel tray hides the rest. Hard to break into, would be noisy, alarm, and unless they can get a door open it would be difficult to get them out of a window. Miles safer than my garden shed even.

Insurance is the tricky bit though. My house insurance insists must not be visible in the car. Not sure if a cover over bikes is enough. Car insurance is unlikely to pay up much if anything for contents stolen.

sideshow
    Free Member

Cheers all. Definitely checking out Mondeos then and maybe that Skoda. According to some reviews the Mondeo Hatchback has bigger boot than the estate — bizarre!

Yetiman
    Free Member

My VW Passat 2.0 tdi Sport estate was great for that. The boot is huge with the seats down and the window tints are nice and dark. My wife’s S-Max is also great for overnight biking duties as its almost impossible to see in the back.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Must be lots of estates that fit the description. I can get a bike in the back of my auris and that’s a smaller estate

LadyGresley
    Free Member

VW Caddy Maxi with blacked out windows?

globalti
    Free Member

Passat estate will take three bikes with the seats flat and two completely hidden in the boot with the blind pulled over.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I have a civic tourer SR, plenty of space, blacked rear windows, sliding cover to cover the stuff in the boot..

Rear seats fold completely flat

Plus there magic seats..

epicyclo

The obvious answer is an old Bentley. Slot a diesel engine in, and it’s a deal. 🙂

garage-dweller

Globalti which chassis you referring to my 2012 (b7?) passat boot is pants my 1997 one would take two bikes and wheels under the load cover but that was xc hardtails. Mk3 Mondeo before was shed loads bigger than both.

Mk3 Mondeo for the boot only win

timber

Executive saloon?
    Used to fit a lot of work kit in the boot of an E-class Merc.
    Would mean wheels off, but keeps the interior clean.

kennyp
    Free Member

We have a Mazda 6 estate. Bike (with wheels off) fits in the boot with no need to put the back seats down.

Is also a lovely car to drive and big enough that I sometimes use it to sleep in. Leave work on the Friday, drive north for a few hours, put the seats down and just crash out in the back. Nice and comfy.

Would definitely recommend one. Ours is six years old and still feels like new.

breadcrumb

If I take the wheels of any of my bikes they fit in the boot of my honda accord tourer, with bubble wrap in between I could pile another on top. Pull the cover over and they can’t be seen.

I’ve had a 29er and the wife’s mountain bike in the back of my Accord Tourer with the boot cover over.

The boot is huge.

takisawa2

Aldi did a black waterproof canvass thing, meant for covering car seats for dogs. If I cover the bike with that it’s practically invisible through dark tints.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Cars you can hide a bike or two in the back of’ is closed to new replies.