Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Cars – Exceeding the Manufacturers fuel efficiency in the real world
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

A bit of a surprise after a drive to work

According to Mercedes

Fuel consumption in l/100 km
    Urban – 12.0
    Extra Urban – 6.2
    Combined – 8.4

doing the conversion 41.4mpg = 5.7 l/100KM

andytherocketeer

that’s a US gallon I think?

41.4mpg (proper man sized UK gallon) = 6.8 l/100km

(which is about what I get in my ancient Leon Turbo)

cliffyc
    Free Member

I have a Peugeot with the 2.0 HDI engine and can beat the official figures. Chose 2.0 over 1.6 as I live in The Lakes and the smaller motor would need more stirring. Very pleased with it. 🙂

ericemel
    Free Member

My wife could often exceed the mpg of our last BMW 116d ED – achieving over 75mpg on a regular basis over 60 miles.

I could never get close!

molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t do it reliably in the Prius, but in the Passat I can very easily get over 60mpg in the summer on an ‘extra urban’ drive, sometimes 65mpg, and the official figure is 56mpg. However it now has energy saving tyres, which it didn’t come with.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay – so it isn’t as impressive as I thought 🙁

Still not bad considering since it left the factory it has had a supercharger added, various tweaks and tunes so is now a 585BHP sports car…

thecaptain
    Free Member

easy innit, especially if you drive like a nun giving her gran a lift, like I do. I have averaged a good 10% better than the official “extra-urban” figure in my vivaro LWB, over a full year, that’s all usage not just one or two special downhill unladen trips. Was harder in a nissan micra when I used to have bikes on the roof more often that not!

wilburt
    Free Member

Before it retired my 2001 Audi A4 1.9tdi avant did 66.1mpg over a 913mile return trip to Scotland.

.. and the 1.6 diesel seat/vw’s I get through work often now go above 70mpg.

molgrips
    Free Member

easy innit, especially if you drive like a nun giving her gran a lift, like I do.

Not necessarily. Well – unless you consider 70mph on the motorway to be very slow driving! I almost always just leave the cruise at 70 and the average just climbs to > 60mpg. However keeping it that high on country roads requires a bit of technique and a slight loss of speed – but not much. Just don’t insist on hitting 60mph between corners… only speed up if it’s really worth it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Manufacturers in-car figures are notoriously optimistic and (unless you’ve done a brim/drive/brim calculation you need to check the real figures. For example:

My wife could often exceed the mpg of our last BMW 116d ED

HJ Real MPG figure is 78% of the official figure from 375 submitted results.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I used to regularly get 70-75mpg on a drive across northern Sheffield and up to Garforth every day, predicted for the car is 64.

I have in the past got 80 on long runs and drive relatively normally.

deepreddave
    Free Member

I got 57mpg over 10k out of my ‘for sale’ 2010 D4D Avensis compared to HJ average of 49.8 but I drive ‘fuel consciously’ and more motorway than urban.

Not sure what I’d do with the extra 450bhp WCA has tbh.

julians
    Free Member

My car has an official combined fuel economy of 37mpg, I’ve never seen better than 32mpg on a single trip , but my average over the last 10000 miles is 27mpg.

Cant really see that I’d ever get better than the official figure except in very very exceptional circumstances.

That figure for WCA AMG merc is pretty amazing , is the figure accurate still after having the engine tweaked to such an extent?

ericemel
    Free Member

My wife could often exceed the mpg of our last BMW 116d ED

HJ Real MPG figure is 78% of the official figure from 375 submitted results.

58mpg is def more my average than my wives! When we did do brim to brim vs on board mpg calcs it was less than 5% out. When we got rid of the car it was 63mpg average over 32k

angeldust
    Free Member

Meaningless without more information. You could reset the computer and (in theory) free wheel all the way to work if it was all downhill.

br
    Free Member

Still not bad considering since it left the factory it has had a supercharger added, various tweaks and tunes so is now a 585BHP sports car…

If that was the case, why are you driving slow enough to achieve +40mpg. Should’ve saved your money and just bought a 2.2 diesel version…

seadog101

I manage to squeeze 50.5mpg out of my subaru XV. But only on A and B roads. More than Subaru claim, and not bad, I think, for a permanent AWD 2.0l petrol.

hanchurch
    Free Member

I tend to work on if the MPG is higher than the outside temperature I’m doing well. Bad day in this photo.

deepreddave
    Free Member

20.9mpg – ouch. Do you tow a caravan everywhere?

WCA – I’ve not seen a speedo on a road car that goes to 320mph. That must be useful 😉

jimw
    Free Member

In my experience the trip computer’s economy figures are rarely accurate. My current vehicle regularly says it is averaging over 50mpg, but is actually doing 44-45 when checked by brim to brim calculations

molgrips
    Free Member

Some brands are accurate, some are miles out.

wilburt
    Free Member

Nah, whenever I get a new car I do the brim to brim thing, realise it’s within a egg cups worth of the computer and stop beings such an anorak.

I imagine cheapo brands like Ford etc computers don’t work properly but they have also just started galvanising cars and still use drum brakes on everything but the sporty jobs so what would you expect.

In summary lots of cars will do the quoted figure or more depending on how you drive and wca has an AMG merc which is the real message of the thread.

brakes
    Free Member

not sure where the mpg stats are on mine

nasher
    Free Member

cars need to be driven, especially a modern turbo diesel… otherwise lack of turbo lubrification, dpf issues arise so that extra few mpg will cost you in the long run.

squirrelking
    Free Member

cars need to be driven, especially a modern turbo diesel… otherwise lack of turbo lubrification, dpf issues arise so that extra few mpg will cost you in the long run

Utter crap. If you drive a diesel like you’re supposed to you won’t get dpf issues. If you drive it like you’re not supposed to you will. Funny that.

Brakes – Hows the weather in Reims?

wilburt
    Free Member

Nasher, that’s sounds like bs to justify driving like a ****.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Ok so how are you supposed to drive diesels then? Genuinely interested . . .

brakes
    Free Member

Hows the weather in Reims?

il pleut

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok so how are you supposed to drive diesels then?

Long trips along with short ones, so the dpf has chance to clean itself.

piemonster

For once I wholeheartedly agree with Molgrips.

Never have an issue with dpf, can’t say I can ever recall driving what could be termed as even brisk. Just the general area of speed limits. With lots of motorways and country roads.

agent007
    Free Member

This was mine in the garage the other week receiving a full strip down to see why it wasn’t making the manufacturers claimed mpg figures.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Cars – Exceeding the Manufacturers fuel efficiency in the real world’ is closed to new replies.