Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Carrying wheels on a rack – possible?
  • MrBlond
    Free Member

I need to transport some 700c wheels into work – only about 3 miles.

I'm thinking if maybe I tie them to the sides of the rack on my tourer?

And I mean 'possible' as in 'advisable' or 'yeah, I did that, it was fine' as opposed to 'of course it's possible, but you'll die'

trail_rat
    Free Member

easily done – 3 stong zipties needed – watch out for strong winds.

ive done it a few times !

midlifecrashes

It's the Old Skool way of getting your race wheels to the race, you ride with your race wheels on the rack, training wheels in. At the start you take off all the bits of bike you don't need for the race and hide them in the hedge or an official's car. You used to be able to get little dropouts to bolt on which made it even easier.

sl2000

I've carried 26" wheels and 700c rims around on my back on my 10 mile London commute. One at a time with no tyre and tightly tied to my rucksack works fine. Never tried on a rack.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Ta, will try to cast the visions of the extra wheels coming loose and rolling off in opposite directions from my mind 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

It's only 3 miles, couldn't you just walk to/from work one day?

midlifecrashes

Oh looky, folk still make this stuff.

Caution, I suspect beards

BigJohn

The way we used to transport wheels to the local track was with 2 bits of bent metal (a bit like a 4" strip of mecanno, but a bit sturdier), which you attach one end to the QR of your front wheel then 1 end to the QR of the wheel being carried. Now you have 3 wheels on the front, the 2 outer ones about 4" off the ground.

I

MrBlond
    Free Member

Gary_M, I did roughly that this lunchtime…

And when I got there I found my house keys were in my bike jacket.

On my desk.

At work.

allankelly

This is the sort of thing toe-straps are still useful for. Attach wheels loosely together at rim with one toe-strap. Rest axles on opposite sides of rack. 2nd toe-strap/zipties attaches wheels to rack at axles. Tighten rim toestrap. Ta, and indeed, dah.

a.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Carrying wheels on a rack – possible?’ is closed to new replies.