• This topic has 23 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Mog.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Carrying stuff on a motorbike
  • Mog
    Free Member

I posted a couple of months ago that I was completing my DAS with the hope of commuting by bike due to work relocating. All went to plan and now I’ve been riding for a couple of months I need to sort out the commuting side.

I work between 2 sites and need to carry a laptop, change of clothes and me butties every day (laptop maybe 2 or 3 times a week). Had planned on getting a top box but it’s proving prohibitively expensive with the box, plate & rack. So, I think I’m left with rucksack, soft panniers or a tailbag. I wanted to avoid the rucksack so there’s nothing on me, but not sure about safety of the others? Also, it’d be handy to be able to leave the helmet with the bike when I go on site visits.

What do you use? Any recommendations?

Cheers, all.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Top tip: Don’t use a motorbike to save money, it simply doesn’t work like that, you end up biking on a budget and it don’t work. I used a bike for three years in my business and they’re great for cutting through traffic etc and nipping about but come at a cost.

What bike have you got?

A top box is really the best option, don’t price up the OE systems, try renntec etc.

Soft panniers are great but take time to get them on right and not secure when you leave the bike.

neninja
    Free Member

Ventura luggage system is great. You fit the rack to your bike and can then add different options of luggage. You can also remove the main rack when not required and fit a grab handle instead for a passenger.

The other alternative is a motorcycle specific backpack.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ogio-No-Drag-Motorcycle-Pack_45270.htm
    or if you can afford one
    http://www.boblbee.com/eu/default.asp

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Top tip: Don’t use a motorbike to save money, it simply doesn’t work like that

Well, it depends on the bike and the car it’s replacing really! 🙂

BMW 540i vs CG125 and the bike wins! 🙂

To the OP:
    Yes, top boxes are eye wateringly expensive. But there’s more than on way to skin this particular cat! First and best option is to buy a bike with one already fitted, even if it’s just the rack it’ll be chaeper.
    If that’s not possible then there’s more than one make other than Givi (Who are the big name) There’s Kappa for a start, off the top of my head.
    Then of course you can go secondhand off Ebay!
    A solid top box is your best bet, but be aware you’ll need a fairly big one to carry a laptop! Mine doesn’t fit in my scooter top box (Which is a reasonable size) and is quite snug in the motorbike top box, which is a big (46l??) Givi, and takes up over half the space when in it’s bag

Soft luggage is a viable option IMO. As long as you’re not leaving anything expensive in it when parked up, it’ll be fine. The straps then to fit under the seat and there’s loads of room. Our Oxford ones never leaked despite never using the waterproof covers in some torrential rain, but stick your kit in a bin-liner to be sure

It wouldn’t surprise me if someone doesn’t make a seat pack especially for a laptop either.

Personally, I’d avoid leaving my lid with the bike regularly, but there’s no reason you can’t stick it in a bag and chain it to your wheel (And a lampost at the same time!!) We’ve done this with jackets too, at bike races: Take a cycle coil lock and pass it through the sleeves, then round the wheel.

If I think of any more I’ll post again! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member
    tomaso
    Free Member

There are loads of cheap secondhand topboxes on fleabay. I’ve got a NonFango one in my garage somewhere along with the mounting you could have save for the fact I’ve no idea where the poxy ley is….

A ruck sack is ok but for keeping smary clothes neat hard luggage is the way to go.

At the moment I’ve got some soft throw over panniers that are great for camping and nipping off to see mates for the weekend.

A decent rack form someone like Renntec is a good start, but a lot does depend on what motorcycle you’ve got.

Mog
    Free Member

a lot does depend on what motorcycle you’ve got.

1998 Bandit 600.

First and best option is to buy a bike with one already fitted

Beginning to think that should’ve been on the ‘essential’ list when looking at bikes!

Soft luggage is a viable option IMO. As long as you’re not leaving anything expensive in it when parked up, it’ll be fine

I don’t think I’d be leaving anything – sort of had it in my mind that I could whip it off the bike and take it with me as a bag (if I went for a tailpack).

geordiemick00
    Free Member

If you want to whip it off quickly then it’s either a top box like Givi or a Ventura. The oxford panniers are great but to stop them fouling the rear wheel you may be advisable making some sort of strap to stop them rubbing the wheels when leaning over. I had that problem on my first outing with soft luggage, rand a step from rear foot peg to grab handle on pillion seat and it stopped the left pannier rubbing wheel on right handers and vice versa. In the end I bought hard luggage

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Mog,

I currently commute 55 miles each day on a 1999 CBR600f. I’ve used every thing from rucksacks on my back, holdalls cargo-netted to the pillion seat and soft throw-over luggage but nothing comes close to a top box fitted to a quick-release plate.

I bought my rack second-hand off e-bay. Cost me about £60. The box was a brand new Chinese made Givi COPY (45 litre) that was only £29.99 again from e-bay. I simply couldn’t afford the real Givi at over £180.00.

I was initially worried about the quality of the materials used to make the box but it has provided sterling service for over 3 years now.

It’s soooo much easier being able to clunk-click a secure box into place rather than messing about with bloody straps and bungies.

My first bike was a 1996 Bandit 600. I still miss it!

Also, I got really sick of commuting with a laptop. (Just to bulky and annoying.) Also, I found that rolling up power cables put unnecessary strain on them and I ended up going through 3 of them. I eventually got to the point where I downloaded all my important files onto a portable drive and made sure that I had access to a computer both my work locations.

Happy biking.

Mog
    Free Member

Simon S – that’s my situation and predicament exactly. Unfortunately I’m not able to download my work (long story) so need to carry the laptop with me.

I had looked at a couple of the cheaper boxes but was concerned they wouldn’t cut the mustard, but that’s reassuring that I don’t necessarily have to go with Givi/Kappa etc…

I think I’m in the Catch 22 situation of buying more and more bags and carriers to make do as I can’t afford a top box at the moment until I eventually buy a top box and wish I’d bought one all along!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It has to be said you can’t beat a top box….

I’d get some more info off Simon if I were you!

A thought:
    Is there a Bandit Oweners website/forum? You might get a deal off there if there is????

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just becasu I feel like it… This is our bike fully loaded for a week’s camping recently…… 🙂

IMG_2193 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

br
    Free Member

Whatever box you buy (and a box is the best idea), make sure it locks to the rack – and that the rack is secured to the bike/box in such a way that it can’t be taken off without access to the seat (and or box).

I had a Givi rack on a Fazer where you could actually undo the box lock from the underside…

shedbrewed
    Free Member

You want something nice in wicker, you do-

easily removable for when you need to take one of your other bikes’ wheels and tyres for changing-

Joking aside, I would say go and look at Kriega US-20 for a good tailpack. Very easy to fit and remove, they ARE waterproof, unlike a lot of other bike kit, and they are very tough. You would be able to get all your kit in the 20 with no bother.

Northwind

Topbox is very good, but I generally used a small waterproof rucksack. There’s some things I wouldn’t carry in it (frinstance, I drew the line at a big workshop vice) for fairly obvious reasons but sandwiches, clothes and a laptop shouldn’t pose a safety concern.

totalshell

i have a c90 with the biggest cheapest top box i could but bolted direct to the seat.. not pretty but bike cost 120 top box 12 from ebay holds helmet bike lock/chain buttys 2 litre coke bottle small child why

100mpg 64 quid fully comp.. with no no claims!! and the taliban use em all the time..

Mog
    Free Member

shedbrewed – Member
    Joking aside, I would say go and look at Kriega US-20 for a good tailpack.

Do you use one? Like the look of that. If you have one is there any chance you could have a look at the dimensions for me. Went out to try some oxford tail packs at lunchtime and none would fit a laptop.

stumpy01

How about a tank bag like in PP’s pic?

Isn’t there two parts to them? A bit that stays on the bike & then the actual bag that zips onto it?
    Would you get a laptop in one of those?
    How easy are they to put on/take off? I take it they are waterproof?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Isn’t there two parts to them? A bit that stays on the bike & then the actual bag that zips onto it?
    Would you get a laptop in one of those?
    How easy are they to put on/take off? I take it they are waterproof?

Bagster bags have a tank cover that stays in place and the bag clips on and off, ours is magnets and a strap round the headstock

You’d struggle to get a normal sized laptop in it, certainly not in it’s carrying bag, at least.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Mog – Member

shedbrewed – Member
    Joking aside, I would say go and look at Kriega US-20 for a good tailpack.

Do you use one? Like the look of that. If you have one is there any chance you could have a look at the dimensions for me. Went out to try some oxford tail packs at lunchtime and none would fit a laptop.

Yes, I have used Kriega kit for 3-4 years now. What size is your laptop? My MacBook 13″ fits fine in the US20. I have a slightly larger HP laptop I can try out if you want too?

Mog
    Free Member

Shed – you’re a gent.

Laptop is 14″ (do you measure it like a TV – no idea about these things?). Actual dimensions of closed laptop is 13″x9″.

Do you use yours with a rack or straight onto the tail/seat?

Cheers.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Quick measure of the MacBook is 12.75×9 and it fits with plenty of room in the US20. I use mine either on a rack, or on the saddle.
    Quick pic of it on the back of my Speed Triple special-

I’ve had it on the back of many bikes, including my girlfriend’s old Bandit 600. Also works well as a satchel when off the bike.

Mog
    Free Member

You’re a star – thanks very much.

Just had a look at their retailers and there’s on just 10 miles away from me – think I’ll head over tomorrow and pick one up.

Thanks again.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Carrying stuff on a motorbike’ is closed to new replies.