Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Carrying bikes with campervan??
  • spoonman
    Free Member

I’m converting a SWB low roof Renault master. Trying to figure out the best way to carry bikes. Not enough room for them inside the van. At 225cm, I think it would be too awkward to use roof carriers. The van doesn’t have a towbar fitted but as they’re standard barn doors they wouldn’t open if using towbar mounted rack.
    Fiamma and Thule make bolt on, fold out racks for vans with barn doors (carry bike 200 DJ) but they’re permanently fitted and kind of obtrusive.
    Wondering if it would be possible / wise to fit roof bars going horizontally on the rear doors and then use standard roof carriers or more minimal fork mount carriers vertically on the doors? Too much weight on the doors? Too much stress on the carriers?
    Any advice would be great.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I don’t think the hinges will be liking that too much.

You could fabricate a separate frame, like a spare wheel carrier, that swings out the way to open the rear doors.

sharkattack

Welcome to my nightmare. Been trying to work it out for 4 years.

Stoner
    Free Member

fit a towbar, and then sliding carrier.

It’s really the only sound way for taking the loads correctly for the van.

EDIT sorry, just though about barn doors. The sliding carriers isnt going to work is it.

Kahurangi

Fiamma and Thule make bolt on, fold out racks for vans with barn doors (carry bike 200 DJ) but

they’re permanently fitted

Not a downside IMO

and kind of obtrusive

Nothing states ‘lifestyle vehicle’ more than advertising your hobby!

woody74

Got a high top T5 with barn doors and have a Fiamma rack bolted on to the left door. Works really well and had no issues at all after 3 yrs use. To me having it available all the time is a massive bonus

Kahurangi

Also big plusses with a barn door type rack

You’re not as long as with a tow bar mounted rack. Nowhere near as long.

Your highest point is high – typically well above any other vehicle for example.

Your bikes are clear of the numberplate and lights so don’t need a tail-board.

spoonman
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Bolt on is looking like cheapest and easiest option.

Do you reckon the doors can manage the weight ok? Thule make one for barn doors that can carry 3 bikes.

andyv
    Free Member

I used to have a Fiamma rear rack that hung off my T4 hatch. It put dents in the top of the hatch at the hook-on points and bent the hinges. Admittedly I had used it loaded up with 4 bike so quite a load. I’d say a barn door was less supported than a hatch.

Towbar hitch everytime for me now, particularly if you want to keep the van nice. Towbars are designed to hang things off, doors aren’t.

Andy

Bez

Stoner, you seem to have the same van and rack as me. Looks like a trailer at the back…? Is it just strapped to the other bikes or do you have a more advanced solution?

Stoner
    Free Member

IIRC correctly (trailer long since sold on) I used a wheel seat/ratchet strap from the 4th bike rail to hold the trailer on the rail using the trailer front “Bumper”, then the long bike arm between through to the trailer bumper.

I also used the strap and boot clip that came with the rack to hold up the rack either with the second/third bike TT, or in the case as belwo, the trailer.

The second menthod I used was to sit the rear member of the trailer in the 4th bike rail, use a couple of small webbing straps to hold it down, then the strap up to the tailgate top.

Stoner
    Free Member

PS, I used to have a Fiamma tailgate mounted rack.

Never really liked it, it has bent the tailgate at the top near the hinges and dented it near the bottom where the cantilever pads sit.

On hitting a railway crossing a little too quickly and bottoming out the suspension on the compression, the rear arms (loaded with two bikes and the first incarnation of the trailer) noticeably drooped/creased. Once home, I took it off and gave it to a mate with a T4 as he just wanted something to move his kids bikes around with (I did tell him about the condition of it 🙂 )

Bez

Ah, thanks, I wondered if there was a fourth bike adapter hiding under there. Might need to get one of those soon anyway. Cheers.

tomaso
    Free Member

Needing to access barn doors on the rear of a campervan with 4 bikes on a towbar rack is a ball ache. However, they are super secure and I’ve never had a problem with the security of the bikes on the rack compared to other racks I’ve had and used.

Perhaps this would be the answer?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Carrying bikes with campervan??’ is closed to new replies.