• This topic has 18 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Carrying babies on the bike?
  • scottyjohn
    Free Member

Hi all,
    We are expecting our first born any day now and am looking to see if there is any way to carry a small baby on the bike for urban scoots and park rides etc, obviously no off-road! Has anyone seen any method or contraption to carry the baby safely on the bike?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

gaffer tape

ourmaninthenorth

TandemJeremy to the forum, TandemJeremy to the forum..!

(In short – keep them off the bike until they can support their heads, unless you're Dutch)

PS congrats. Ours is now 2 weeks old. Am just about to head upstairs for a(nother) nappy change. Might do the baby's at the same time 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    big_n_daft
    Free Member

Wait a year at least or risk a Darwin Award

Some resident of Scotland will say you can start next week based on hearsay from the continent (alledgedly)

Your kid your decision

rp16v
    Free Member

ours was happy in a chair at about 1 year so got a chair and helmet for her bday now she dousent want to take her lid off that was a year ago lol

boxelder

Strapped to your chest in a babybjorn type 'front carrier'.
    Is it worth the risk of an 'off' though?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Get them in a good trailer that has a good baby sling. I took mine round bits of glentress at a month old.

http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/corsaire_xl_accessories.php?accID=1&flaID=

hopster
    Free Member

We bought a baby carrier that lies them flat un a trailer. Chariot also make one. Had my daughter in one from 3 months for pootles along the cycle track. She's 2 now and no long term affect to her health for all the people who think its a bad idea. Still have the seat if you are interested?

Pogo
    Free Member

MarkyG82

Short answer is not on the bike. Use a trailer.
    No matter where you put them on the bike if you drop it (strange weight dist) you'll never forget it.

A solid carrier in a bob or a 2 wheel trailer if you have space.

igm

We have another on the way and I am wondering if I could fit an old car style baby carrier to a BoB style trailer.

Thoughts anyone?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I waited this she was 6 months old, bought a Hamax off here and went off road. Road happened a bit later. Never looked back.

hora
    Free Member

Wait a year at least or risk a Darwin Award

+1

silvermatt
    Free Member

Not suitable for babies but I got a weeride when my son was almost a year old. Its great because it fits my full sus bike meaning I don't need a second family bike. As he sits in front of me I can see what he's doing plus he gets a great view and I can see what he's pointing at etc. It has a lecturn type piece that he can hold onto or rest on if needed.

I always make sure he has glasses on baby banz because hes more prone to getting flies and grit hitting him in th face.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Christiania bike FTW.

TiRed

Mine rode to nursery in one of those Baby Bjorn slings on my front from about three months. Then graduated to a Rhode Gear Taxi followed by kiddyback tandem. It was a rural route, mind.

trb
    Free Member

At 3 months I'd be happy to take my little one in a baby bjorn for a pootle to the shops. The missus however would not be happy, so clear any purchases first! Plus if I walk then 8 bottles of ale will fit comfortably under her pram where as the bike handles poorly when they are hanging off the handlbars 😉

Another issue I have with a baby bjorn is that most contintental kids are carried on sit up and beg city bikes, while all my bikes are lower bars and stretched out, which limits the space in front of you and would effectivley have the baby looking at the floor.

Do you feel the need to wear a helmet? If you do then I'd suggest that your first born needs one too (trailers excepted), and their head control won't be good enough until 6 months ish to wear one.

If I were you I'd just wait until next spring, you'll have plenty to worry and between now and then other than bikes!

wwaswas

from gary_fisher @ Eurobike – 170mm travel – seems very sensible rather than the solid frame that most kids get (they do a 120mm travel version too he said).

kcr
    Free Member

You have to make your own judgement based on the amount of head control the baby has and the level of support that your bike or trailer provides. The Dutch experience demonstrates it is possible to transport young children safely by bike if you are sensible.

My son had his first trip in the cargo bike at 7 months. I'm not currently using a helmet for him because his head is still quite small, and I think he gets better support from his seat without a helmet pushing his head forward.

Back from a trip to B and Q with his sister for some shelves.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Carrying babies on the bike?’ is closed to new replies.