Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Carron valley – thawed out yet?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d like to have a night ride there this week, but not driving over an hour if it’s still like bloody lapland.

wideload
    Free Member

Nope – still loads of ice. Was up on sat afternoon for a walk. Too much ice IMHO for cycling. Problem is that that most of the trails are shaded by the trees. The new top section is looking really good – but its still closed. Should be good once its done.

thegman67

I was up on we’d for a night ride no ice or snow on any of the trails some snow on the higher fire road but trails are in A1 condition

Merak

I was there today and it was fine. 8)

wideload
    Free Member

I was only walking – best to go with the advice of those that actually were on the trails. Apologies if I was being misleading….

kevin1911

New top section? What new top section? Didn’t realise more work was being done?

Merak

Not so much new as reworked, it essentially the same but refined. I cant help but feel there is massive potential there. The Carron forest is huge.

kevin1911

Ah, so the bit where they’ve made the staircase less severe and smoothed out some of the trail? It does have huge potential, but I think it would need something quite remarkable to happen before the potential can be exploited any further. 🙁

doubledunter
    Free Member

Im not a really a fan of Carron Valley 🙁 its ok for a blast I suppose if you are reasonably close by, I do like the new runway but as for eas dubh ect are concerned it does’nt really float my boat. 🙄 Not really worth my 1hr 20min journey to get there when I can do GT etc in 2hrs

craig1975
    Free Member

damn.. my hopes where built up and shattered all at the same time… 🙁

DickBarton

Eas Dubh is being reworked to include a load of berms in the tight turn bit – that section was intended as a climb in the bigger picture but if it is being reworked then it clearly isn’t going to get any more work done in expanding the trails…

I’d heard it is needing to bed down before it will open, if the weather stays how it is that could be a fair few weeks away…

bigG
    Free Member

I’m heading up there in ten minutes. Will report back on trail conditions later!

Might take a wee walk down the new eas dubh trail. The ranger suggested it’ll be open from Monday after a final inspection

G

clowner
    Free Member

Does this mean the top section is currently closed?

DickBarton

As far as I know yes…FCScotland post up Tweets about trail conditions and CV was mentioned last week as having Eas Dubh still closed due to works…

clowner
    Free Member

Yeah I just checked the website and it is

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Im not a really a fan of Carron Valley its ok for a blast I suppose if you are reasonably close by<

That’d be around 40% of the Scottish population taken care of then…

>I cant help but feel there is massive potential there. The Carron forest is huge.<

Yes, it’s good to see the FC appears to be keeping up the trail maintenance – just a shame that didn’t extend to implementing some of Pete Laings suggested trail extensions. But then they wont want to do that for fear of guys like doubledunter not jumping in their cars and driving for 2 hours 😉

craig1975
    Free Member

I’m a fan of Carron Valley.. just a pity it’s so short.. its an hrs drive from Glasgow, which isn’t that bad, but when you think you can drive to Drumlanrig or even Ae in about the same time, well which one do you go for ??? whats there is really good… but just could do with more of it.. and imagine if they had a short cut back up to the top of the Run Way.. now that would be sweet..

bigG
    Free Member

So the trails are now clear, up to the top of cannonball.

The forest road from there up to the top of eas dubh is still a snow / ice fest and therefore a push. Eas Dubh is still under reconstruction so didn’t get a chance to ride it. Hopefully it’ll be open soon and we can start to bed it in.

The trails were in great condition today, and good to see so many others out!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

its an hrs drive from Glasgow

In trabant maybe.

I think the point you make is that Ae or Drulanrig are more worthy of a decent journey time, and I’d agree, but I also think that there is potential there for Carron valley to be the equal of, if not better than, the aforementioned trails.

doubledunter
    Free Member

I think the point you make is that Ae or Drulanrig are more worthy of a decent journey time, and I’d agree, but I also think that there is potential there for Carron valley to be the equal of, if not better than, the aforementioned trails.

Basically this is how I should have phrased my comment about CV 🙄

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Carron valley – thawed out yet?’ is closed to new replies.