Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Carron Valley, any good?
  • beefy

I am heading to the inlaws near Glasgow this week and am taking the bike, I fancy having a look at the carron valley stuff near Stirling, but read that some parts are closed, just wondering if there is a local who can let me know whats going on.

robgarrioch

Seems you're right, by the FC website. There's not a lot to it but it's worth a look – quite a short lap. If you're willing to go a little further, Comrie Croft is well worth a visit, also short but technical as you could get. There was a post earlier with a video from the recent Hairy Coo race, http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-hairy-coo-xc-race-video

grumm
    Free Member

It's ok, quite pleasant but not hugely exciting and pretty short. The most fun part for me was the little jumps section at the end and I believe that is the part they are digging up (and getting rid of the jumps).

Xan
    Free Member

No point going just now IMO. More than half of it is closed just now for a re-build and what is there has been drastically downgraded. Better going to Mugdock Park and having a play about there

dmiller
    Free Member

I have not been up since they closed sections – I dont know how closed they are. (Signs saying stay out or actually dug up).

This thread may be of interest however:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recommend-me-a-route-from-drymen-12-hour-north-of-glasgow

David

grumm
    Free Member

What's at Mugdock Park Xan? Is it easy to find trails there or do you need local knowledge? My brother is moving to near Drymen soon and I'm looking for some good riding near him 🙂

balfa
    Free Member

I doubt it is worth the visit at the moment. If your looking for some nice riding you could try the North Third route. There is beautiful technical singletrack all the way along the sauchie crag that sits above north third reservoir. Best ridden South to North. Combine with a lap around cambusbarron for a nice if a little short route.

Xan
    Free Member

They are totally closed. The runway is completely dug up and Andy (Park Ranger) has put fences up all the way down Eas Dubh as it has not bedded in yet and people riding it was ruining it.

Grumm, With Mugdock, just go and explore there are soo many trails about there. You can either spend an hour about there or explore all day. Dont get me wrong there is not a huge amount of technical stuff and I was there on sunday and it is really wet in places. I quite often cycle from Milngavie to Dryman on the West Highland Way (about 22 miles) and know a few natural trails about there that I can show you one day if you want. But I will warn you its only really good when it is dry. there is a great bit that our club do that you can get about 30km (probably 60km if you set off from Dryman) out of mostly on natural trails

Other option is the new Commonwelth XC route in Pollock Park

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Parks_Outdoors/Activities/Cycling/glasgowmountainbikecircuit.htm

I have never riden it but TBH the report I have are not very good.

Beefy – When are you going to be here? I might be free to take you round one of my local trails Chatelherault Country Park in Hamilton. I should be able to show you about 10 miles worth of some nice riding. Email me on paulxan(at)hotmail.co.uk if you want. I'll be free Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning and probably going to do a few night rides (Tuesday and Thursday)

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks Xan I will probably give you a shout next time I am going up there if that's ok.

Walked the bit of the WHW from Drymen over Conic Hill and it looked like it would be pretty good for biking (with a bit of carrying up some of the hills).

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

North Third, Dumyat or Ben Cleuch all offer far better riding than Carron Valley or Mugdock imo.

Are they really making Carron Valley easier? Jings. It could have worked out so much better. Shame.

Xan
    Free Member

The first part of Eas Dubh has been totally sanitized. There small bomb holes have been smoothed out and a few small berms added. Kelpies has been upgraded to a black but looks easier than before. It has been smoothed out with a chicken run option. Not seen enough of the runway to comment but according to Andy there are a few table tops, a bomb hole and a few roll able jumps similar to the blue at GT (towards the end.

Xan
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cathkin braes is the commonwealth XC route, not Pollok park. Pollok is alright if you live there, but not worth travelling to, prob ride the three routes all round in about 20 minutes.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I was up at Carron on Saturday morning and went up to see the work (but didn't ride it); I have mixed feelings about the 'sanitisation' of Eas Dubh – the surface was getting pretty raw and needed maintenance, but I'm pretty disappointed at Kelpies being pretty much flattened, and TWO chicken runs being added to the side! I believe it's because someone crashed pretty bad here recently, but shouldn't be more than a red grade with a warning at the top.

Having said that the big berm on the runway is as big and bermed as it was before, but with the new, very smooth, fast surface. I wonder if that will be black graded too?

It's good to see the trails being maintained – I presume the CV Development Group don't have anything to do with it anymore?

organic355
    Free Member

any idea when the work will be complete and the entire trail rideable?

Kelpies has been flattened? That was the only bit I looked forward too as I found it a test every time, especially when the rocks at the top were wet/slippy. So whats there now?

Beagleboy

Hey Beefy,

I live about 3 miles downhill from the Carron Valley trails. I don't think the man-made stuff is worth the journey at the moment as folk have already mentioned, but I'd be happy to show you around some of the local, natural stuff in the area.

B.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I'm not sure when it'll be open. Eas Dubh has been resurfaced until just past Kelpies and looks very new/delicate. After that it's the old rough surface. I don't know if they can resurface the wooded section as it's pretty narrow and they're using diggers so they might not bother. The nice thing about the CVDG is that a lot of it was handbuilt through narrow sections, and it showed!

The runway has been done until just past the berm, then it's all churned mud, so a lot of work still to be done there.

davidrussell
    Free Member

LLB2 – you're correct, CVDG is no more. The "maintenance" has been completed by FCS, possibly in conjunction with the Carron Valley Partnership which was, frankly, in tatters when we left.

I'll not bore you with the detail but for those that are interested theres some interesting reading here]

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

were you part of the group baw jaws?

i went up 2 or 3 times to help out clear felled trees and stuff, it's a shame :o(

davidrussell
    Free Member

aye, i was. had the dubious honour of chairing the group to its destruction. 🙁

I dont think FCS labelling this as maintenance is fair, as they are fundamentally changing the trails, not maintaining them. They obviously have a motive for this, be it duty of care or a desire to see less accidents, but IMO I dont think they are doing it because they want to see the site flourish and develop, its probably more to do with "dumbing down" CV and getting the trails graded to suit their "families and beginners trail" dictum for the site. My personal opinion is that the changes will be liked by some and not by others, but I wouldn't see this as a sign of future growth – they are only keeping up a duty of care at CV whilst directing the thousands of disappointed MTB'ers to their "premier" sites in the 7S. So much for promoting sustainable MTB eh?

And dont get me started on the MTB framework gravy train 🙂

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I was aware of the breakdown in the relationship, but will read more on the CVDG site later with interest!

I totally agree with you, that's why I ride those places in the worst weather and am returning to the hills for proper (IMO) riding.

rapiddescent

I did a youtube video of the carron valley trails when the new cannonball bit opened. search on youtube for "rapiddescentscotland" and carron valley trails.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Carron Valley, any good?’ is closed to new replies.