Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Carrera subway 8 – Alfine
  • motorman
    Free Member

Been looking for a new touring/commuting/lazy road bike & came across this.
    Can be had for £320 at the moment, which seems really good value considering it running an Alfine hub.

Subway 8 Alfine

Anyone had experience with one of these?

wors

I bought a subway 2 for winter commuting. 2 winters have knackered the derailleurs so no probs on this bike. It’s looks like its got better wheels too. Looks like a steal tbh.

Wally

Bargain!

motorman
    Free Member

Anyone else?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I almost bought one of those recently but instead bought a Charge Tap from Wiggle. I have also recommended a Subway 1 to a friend.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the full alfine kit would cost about £200 alone and hydraulic brakes [ cheap but shimano ones] rest of spec is budget. Possibly a bit heavy would be the only downside
    Seems like a great price tbh if you are not a bike snob.

cookeaa

Buy it!

Carrera are definately bunging together some good specs for commuter bikes these days…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

That is a ridiculous bargain. I’m tempted myself.

MoreCashThanDash

Several mates commute on Subways, all rate them.

Just wish they did a 700cc wheel version and I’d buy one in a heartbeat

epicsteve
    Free Member

Bargain. If I didn’t already have an Alfine bike I’d definitely have bought one of those at that price.

motorman
    Free Member

Looking good for the money then, but I don’t understand how the chain is tensioned correctly with vertical drop outs & no tensioner?
    All the shops around me are out of stock, so I can’t see one in the flesh

Junkyard
    Free Member

i assume they designed it to have the correct length for the chain and does not need one …it is halfords though so i see why you want to see one in the flesh I will nip in my local one and see if they have one and post up tomorrow night re this

JRTG
    Free Member

Frame has an EBB by the looks of it, almost worth buying for the parts and selling the rest on.

duckman

Have you seen the 120mm travel MTB they are now selling for £330?

motorman
    Free Member

What one is that? Kraken?
    Subway is ticking my boxes, road use in the summer, goor / beach bike in the winter
    Ah, just noticed the EBB when I zoomed in! Well spotted, I must have been sleeping….

Kato

Just had a look at one of these, is indeed EBB and it weighs a ton!

Bargain though

motorman
    Free Member

Had ordered one of these last night for delivery to store, but reply came back that none in stock at warehouse.
    Idea was good while it lasted though 😆

RRD
    Free Member

On the strength of this thread I’ve just bought one. Extremely good value for money. I could not touch this price for an Alfine hubbed bike anywhere else.

motorman
    Free Member

I never got one in the end – none in stock online & the shops near me didn’t have any.
    Let us know if it is any good when you get it

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Carrera subway 8 – Alfine’ is closed to new replies.