Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Carradice Saddlebags
  • Podium
    Free Member

I find myself inexorably drawn to a Super C or Carradura saddlebag.

Tried to resist temptation by buying a Lezyne Trunk Caddy and Topeak MTX beam rack last week [which no doubt will make an appearance in the classifieds…]

Mostly for shopping top ups and weekend tours when not in the mood to lug a trailer.

Any users out there…thumbs up or avoid?

Will I be expected to grow a beard,ride in sandals and take out a CTC life membership if I get one in.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have a camper longflap…..best thing since sliced bread …. Looks wierd as food on me bikes – all too new but performs wickedly .

kilo

Mrs and I both use Carradice bags (longflaps), mainly for commuting duties, excellent, strong bits of kit, the sqr mounting system is well worth getting. Thumbs up here

jimmyshand
    Free Member

I have a SQR tour. Great bit of kit. If nuclear war ever happens I'm crawling inside it – will be well safe in there.

brumsgrove
    Free Member

I use Nelson Longflap or (much smaller) Barley – great bags, durable w/proof & capable of stashing more gear than you'd expect. Found the Bagman s/bag support to be more stable than the SQR system.

Podium
    Free Member

Nice one chaps.
    Needs to be easily off and on-able so which is the best mount? Is the Bagman support lower slung than the SQR?
    What are they like out of the saddle Pantani-style [say with 10kgs of load]

Podium
    Free Member

I assume leg clearance isn't an issue if the bags are used with a mount..

Stoner
    Free Member

Sqr is a must.

I use a super c for my commute. Have toured with one too

http://Pompinos.blogspot.com

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Carradice bags – love 'em !
    Use a Barley most of the time – was concerned about leg clearance when I first got it, so I loaded it ram jam full up and went for a ride up over and round stanage edge, reckoned if it didn't bug round there it'd be Ok anywhere.

You can, on occasion, feel the bag on the backs of your thighs slightly, but it's kind of 'comforting' rather than annoying 😕 didn't have any issues when hanging over the back going downhill which was the main concern. didn't notice any wobbling about either. test passed – it's now a regular companion on most rides.

oh IMO they look the business – and passing the moto x wannabes on their full susser full face full ons on a hardtail with mary bars a brookes saddle and a carradice bag 'politely' ringing your bell is quite pleasurable. 😈

tony_m
    Free Member

Podium – Member
    I assume leg clearance isn't an issue if the bags are used with a mount..

You assume correctly, the support holds the bag away from the back of your legs. I use a Barley saddlebag with a Bagman Q/R Sport Support, which works well…

Also got a Carradura rack pack for when I feel the need to carry even more stuff… 🙄

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

forgot to mention – i don't have the bag support fitted , it just straps straight to the saddle and seat pin – still no drama

rootes1

I used an sqr tour – v good, though finish is a little erm how to put this… Under refined.

Eddiethegent

I've got an SQR Slim, same volume as the SQR Tour but I found it to be a more usable shape and it fits more easily between rear wheel and saddle on smaller bikes. The best thing about the SQR system is that the bag is held very securely and doesn't rock from side to side when sprinting out of thr saddle – a problem I've had with a beam rack before.

Not sure I'd agree with Rootes in that it is under refined, it's just purely functional with no gimmicks and does the job. One addition I have made is to wrap a small elastic cargo net around it so that I can strap a waterproof to it.

rootes1

Not sure I'd agree with Rootes in that it is under refined, it's just purely functional with no gimmicks and does the job

don't get me wrong – it works great, but i feel some of their products could do with a bit of development + stitched straight.

but in some ways it is part of the carradice charm

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Carradice Saddlebags’ is closed to new replies.