Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Carpenters/Chippies/Joiners/Wood Folk here – or In Leeds / Bradford?
  • bearnecessities

I’m not sure what discipline of wood-ist I need, but this architrave is to cock, and I need it fixed pronto before plastererererer & his team of pixies arrive in a week and a bit.

I’m suspecting that it requires a bit more than me arsing about with a saw.

Any suggestions of good folk that are available?

(This photo makes it look a load worse than it is, but it is a bit slopey!)

wrightyson
    Free Member

If you’re planning on over skimming that wall I’d remove the arch all together. Bit rough and ready leaving it in place.

bearnecessities

Not sure what you mean by arch WS.

I’m just talking about the architrave on that door.

If you mean that beam in the very top of picture (foreground), that’s kind of the old exterior wall, and in picture for context of how pissed the architrave is (although it does make it look really bad!)

The curvature thing to the right, is actually plaster & lats (very sturdy though) hiding beams. The plaster on the right wall of the photo will all be gone before plasterererers arrive.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What’s wrong with your architrave ? Do you mean the head of your door opening is pissed ? You need to sort that out before you sort your architrave out. You can’t have level architrave on a pissed head ! 😕

bearnecessities

Have I got my terminology wrong? I though architrave was the whole top of the frame?

Either way, yes, the whole top of the door is pissed, as you can see!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant architrave but just couldn’t be arsed to type it 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes you got the terminology wrong ! 🙂

I have no idea what’s wrong with the head of your door lining/frame. Get a chippie to sort it out !

bearnecessities

I want a chippie to sort it out!

project
    Free Member

Bear is that a reflection of you in your gimp mask on the right of the photo.

As for the frame and arc, remove arc both sides, and remove right leg of frame, cut a bit off botom and refix, using a spirit level , re fix arc both side s, ay require a bit of cutting, as will the old door.

Or just leave it, as a feature of an older house.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I want a chippie to sort it out!

Good plan.

I can tell you now that your options are as follows. Either drop the right hand side, make good above, and cut the door down. Or, lift up the left side (which will presumably involve lifting a lintel) and have a large gap at bottom of the door on the left hand side – I assume the floor is pissed in equal measure ? Or a bit of both, ie split the difference.

I would go for the first option of a shorter door. Although I would want to know what the **** has happened to your house to cause the problem in the first place.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jeez, I’ve seen some headers on the piss, but that really is on the piss. 😯

bearnecessities

Structurally, the house is solid. Everything else has been done by the chuckle brothers.

To just clear up, the header/whatever it’s called, is sloping up from left to right, so no need for a hobbit door.

Oddly, all other frames are fine, and this one is in the ‘original’ part of house. I’ll admit it’s odd.

It just feels like one of those jobs I should get someone in to do, rather than muck about myself with.

Please recommend someone!

philbert31
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at it for you, ill drop you an email.

philbert31
    Free Member

ygm!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thing is, bn, while the head’s sloping upwards, the angles still look square…so is the whole doorway on the piss or just the head?

project
    Free Member

Could be a sloping floor

slackalice
    Free Member

That’s a terrible photo for trying to give an idea as to what’s going on there. Can you just take several steps back please and retake? 😉

From what I can tell, you’d best get a carpenter to look at that. 🙂

bearnecessities

Thing is, bn, while the head’s sloping upwards, the angles still look square..

Oh crap, that’s a good point…

As mentioned though, pic makes it look a bit worse than it is!

Phil, thanks, will reply now.

bearnecessities

Phil popping over this weekend. Cheers all.

kayak23

Yeah, terrible photo. Your bath is going uphill too…
    Frame looks nice and square, and architrave looks Bobi on…I think you have one leg shorter than the other.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Carpenters/Chippies/Joiners/Wood Folk here – or In Leeds / Bradford?’ is closed to new replies.