Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Carpenters; best way of doing skirting?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

I’m looking to do some skirting and architrave, I’ll be doing the whole house eventually so I don’t mind spending some money on tools if required.
    There seems to be a few schools of thought; compound mitre saw or coping?
    I’m not expecting 45deg cuts, so my concern with the mitre saw is that I spend money on something which doesn’t make the job any easier!
    Coping is pretty neat, perhaps a bit fiddly? Or is it just the best way?
    Suggestions and recommendations for tools would be great. I have seen this one which looks quite reasonable, but I’m far from expert so happy to take guidance!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-MLS100-240-255-Electric/dp/B0013UY7N2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

wzzzz
    Free Member

I’m no carpenter, merely an amateur.

Pre-primed MDF skirting if you are painting it.

Flexible to conform to walls and little prep for a perfect finish.

You need both a mitre saw for external joints and architrave and a coping saw for the internal joints. As you say rarely are joints 45 degree so you need a good eye.

Oh and use 2 part car body filler to fill, sets quick, hard and easy to sand into shape.

goldfish24

I’m looking forward to the replies on this question, but in the mean time I can verify that’s a good mitre saw should you go that way. I will add toolstation and screwfix carry the various models of makita mitre saw on next day order to store. Saves you paying postage and waiting in.

nickdavies

For home use I’d just get a decent hand mitre saw. If your house is square then anything half decent. If you have a few wobbly walls then look for something with adjustable angles.

I did the last house with a regular hand mitre saw but only had 90 or 45 degree angles, cutting was fine but a couple of walls that weren’t perfectly square needed calking up, looked fine though after finishing.

Murr
    Free Member

If you can buy a chop saw and a coping saw , you don’t do mitres in internal corners you do scribes , start by fitting the skirting to the wall and cut them square at the end , use the chop saw to cut a 45 angle the follow the profile with the coping saw so that your left with a scribe , cut it to length make it 2/ 3 mm big for a tight fit and continue around the room .

siwhite
    Free Member

What sort of skirting board are you using? If it is something nice and simple like a bullnose profile, a powered mitre saw will give you nice smooth repeatable cuts.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hey dude, get yourself a half-decent mitre saw and drop me an email. I’ll pop round one day and show you what you need to do.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Trend adjustable mitre gauge great tool.

wrecker
    Free Member

Pre-primed MDF skirting if you are painting it.

Check! 145mm torus to be precise!

in the mean time I can verify that’s a good mitre saw should you go that way

Thanks! Do you think it’ll do OK for 145mm skirting?

If it is something nice and simple like a bullnose profile, a powered mitre saw will give you nice smooth repeatable cuts.

Dammit!

Hey dude, get yourself a half-decent mitre saw and drop me an email. I’ll pop round one day and show you what you need to do.

Really?!? That’s incredibly generous Darcy! Is that one I linked to “decent” enough?

rene59
    Free Member

A decent handsaw, mitre box/guide and coping saw is all you need, save your money.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, no probs man. Just let me know when you’re planning on doing it. We can do a couple of hours of internal scribes, external mitres and an architrave set. You’ll be flying.

The only thing I’d recommend over that Makita would be one with a slide. Going up to a slide in Makita will be another £100 or so. There’s a Metabo on there with a slide for £150ish. For cutting mdf, that’ll be fine. I see there’s a stand with it to take total to £200ish. Metabo isn’t bad kit. V popular in Germany – possibly not quite Makita or Blue Bosch, but more than enough for what you need.

wrecker
    Free Member

not quite Makita or Blue Bosch, but more than enough for what you need.

The tool whore in me is starting to shudder…….

leffeboy

bookmarks. Have got this coming up as well. Another +1 for metabo but a nice bit of blue bosch always goes down well

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you got the smallest bladed Makita or Blue Bosch with a slide, I think they would be perfect for your job. There’s a Hitachi there as well for just over £200. Again, that’ll be fine. A stand will be a lot of help as well – one of those things you’d be wondering if you really needed and then when you’ve had a day arsing about with trestles, you’d be crying out for one.

wrecker
    Free Member

Do I need a coping saw too darcy?

scaredypants

Do I need a coping saw too darcy?

…we’ve only just begun…tra-la-la

wrecker
    Free Member

Sometimes you just want a like button so bad.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He’s just jealous wrecker. 🙂

scaredypants

😳 I just want to be … close to you, deadles !

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s a lot of wood being got here. 😮

wrecker
    Free Member

I just want to be … close to you, deadles !

AHEM! What am I, chopped liver?

scaredypants

A mate was once at a pub quiz where the winning entry in the prize draw – “what’s the difference between Cliff Richard and a tennis ball?” was

You can’t chop Cliff Richard in half, fill him with warm chopped liver and **** yourself off

😯 😆

anyway, you know I can’t last a day without you, wrecker

wrecker
    Free Member

😀

You can’t chop Cliff Richard in half, fill him with warm chopped liver and **** yourself off

Whilst I like this comment, I must challenge it. I bet you could.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Carpenters; best way of doing skirting?’ is closed to new replies.