Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Carpal tunnel. Any experiences or advice ?
  • I'm waiting for the full results and follow up doctor's appointment, but it's looking like I've got Carpal tunnel syndrome.
    Moderate severe on the left and borderline moderate on the right, which is strange because it feels about equal in both hands to me, a constant numbness in the 4th and 5th digits.
    I've also got what I think may be a trapped nerve in my neck causing pain in a line down my shoulder and up in to me head and numbness in my head.
    Originally, my GP thought the two were related. However, the doctor carrying out the tests at the hospital didn't, she thought it was standard CTS causing the numbness in my hands.
    I went back to my GP today (a different one) and got given a month's supply of Naproxen for the neck pain and as a temporary measure for the hand problem until the results are analysed.

Assuming this turns out to be two separate problems and one of them is CTS, what's the outcome likely to be from a mountain biking point of view?
    Is surgery eventually inevitable ?
    I've heard of people being given the choice of having both wrists done at once or one after the other, so they've either got the use of only one hand for six weeks or no hands at all for three.
    Is that right ? Mrs MTQG says I can stay at her house and she'll look after me, but I'll have to go for the one hand at a time option as she's not wiping my bum for three weeks.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

My father had it done on both hands 4 years ago. we just chopped down a 40ft tree together.

Waderider
    Free Member

I've got it, but for 11 months of the year I manage it away.

Do the obvious things like pay attention to your bike setup. Sell the fully rigid MTB. Activities involving a bent wrist aggravate it for me, if the same for you avoid. Stop working as the operator of a pneumatic drill and so on.

My biggest problem is actually sleeping with my palm flat on the bed and the wrist bent at ninety degrees. When the numbness and pain is there, this makes it much worse. So sleeping on your back can help.

When I've got it bad I wear a wrist immobilising splint – not totally rigid, but limits movement.

Regarding the operation, no experience or knowledge. CTS has never affected my MTBing, it's big road rides and cycle touring that often bring it on for me. If MTBing is causing yours I can recommend DTSwiss XMC130's as being nice and plush, along with ergon grips.

andydicko
    Free Member

Had both mine done about 12 years ago, it came about through getting alot of numbness during bike rides…… right hand was worse, they did that first, it took about 15 mins under the knife (i actually watched them do it) then the left was done about 4 months later, no further problems and a couple of very neat scars down the lines in my palms!

Sounds like surgery is a once and for all cure then.
    I've got no problem sleeping in odd positions, that's one of the questions the doctor asked me, it's definitely only mountain biking that brings it on.

I ride a fully rigid 29er mostly. Is it really that simple that suspension would help ?
    I'm using Specialized's copy of Ergon grips, although I'm not sure they make a difference.
    When the doctor first suggested it was a neck problem, he told me to sit more upright. I fitted a shorter, higher stem and that seems to help.

tron
    Free Member

I hear vegetarians are particularly susceptible to it 😉

Waderider
    Free Member

Riding rigid brings it on for me.

If you're going for the op, all my comments are redundant anyhow.

Cougar

I hear vegetarians are particularly susceptible to it

Whereas carnivores avoid it by changing hands after 100.

"I hear vegetarians are particularly susceptible to it"

Serves them right, the chicken period eating, cow suckling bastids. They should go vegan.

brakes
    Free Member

My Nan and my Mum have had it for years. 9 of Nan's 10 fingers are better since the ops, one is fubar. Mum is ok but expecting to have it done again and again over the next 20 years until all her fingers are fubar.

singletrackmind

I might be wrong * and I am not a doctor, but i have had CTS. One of the symptons is a feeling of having your hands on fire in the early hours of the morning, sort of like the worst pins and needles . Mine was a combination of work , windsurfing and biking. It didn't occur whilst doing the activities in question , just every night for weeks and weeks.
    Was about to have the operation then snapped my tendons in a snowboarding accident and had to be in a cast . The tendons were fixed and the CTS went away.
    There are splints that are available , and i know a girl who used them to overcome CTS, and some stretching type exercises too.

Try Ergon grips first , or rotating your levers so the point alot more forwards. Worth £20 to try Body Geometry gloves as they will help if its ulnar related.

* Insert usual stw disclaimer here

nick1c
    Free Member

Which are your 4th & 5th digits? CTS will affect your thumb & index finger, possibly the middle one. If it's severe you will get weakness/wasting of the muscles at the base of your thumb. The median nerve (a branch of which which passes through the carpal tunnel in your wrist) can be compressed in various places – If you have no wasting I would go see an osteopath/physio who is familiar with the course of the nerve, potential compression sites & mobilising nerves to see of a non-surgical option could work.

stumpy01

Mate of mine used to race motorbikes at a high level (a few BSB races etc). He had carpel tunnel syndrome & had an op that as far as I know cured it completely.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

If it is CTS, get the op. Get the worst hand done first, then the other when required. The day I got my stitches out my wife made a point of me doing the washing up. My wrist burst open inside the rubber glove and I had to go back to hospital. I remind her of this, often.

stevio

had CTS – left wrist done in March, right, mid-june. it had started about 5 years ago with me waking up in the middle of the night with my hands on fire. By the 2nd lap of race, or an hour or two into a ride i had np feeling in my fingers. Getting better – just had a week in the New Forest with the family and bikes, but only managed 2 laps of the Kirroughtree 10.

My docs initially tried shots of steroids in both wrists, but while they did work they soon wore off. When i went to see the consultant he let his junior assess me- couldn't believe it was both. Then he assessed me himself – ditto. After i convinced both of them last November i had to wait 4 months, but that's here on the Isle of Man where resources aren't as stretched. Get your doc to refer you asap.

oh, and they only seem to do one at a time – though the pre op nurse i was talking to said her friend had both done at once. Expect not to be able to cut up food, do up laces/buttons etc for at least a week. Also got 2 weeks off from the consultant each time. Nice, but lots of work awaiting me when i came back.

Further edit;;;;;; right hand you can't see the incision. Left hand healed manky so picked up a weeks antibiotics too. Took a while to pick up strength too – lifting cases and driving to Nottingham 2 weeks after op not recommended….

skiprat
    Free Member

I had CTS in my right hand. Like nick1c said, CTS affects your thumb, index and middle fingers. My hand would be numb in the night and i would wake up with pins and needles. On long rides i again would loose feeling in my thumb and at home i had to start using my left hand to open jars and take bottle tops off. I had nerve conduction tests and about 6 weeks after went to hospital to see consultant. He did a couple of quick tests and confirmed CTS. He advised due to my age (34 then) not to bother with the steriod injections. They only mask the condition. About a month later i went in for the op. From them inflating the band on my arm to stitching me up took just under 4 mins!!! Total time from entering the operating theatre to walking out 15mins. Took pain killers straight away and kept on them for the first couple of days after. No real pain, just throbbing. 12 days later, stitches out and all ok. I just had one big stitch where as my sister had several small stitches. Just depends on the person doing the job. Back riding again in about 10 weeks. Use a wrist brace sometimes but now its ok. Scar is still a little tender if you hit it wrong but other than that its all good. Did Snowdon the other week and no problems.

I would say if its confirmed as CTS and you get the option, have the op. Injections i've been told are like trying to pump treacle into your wrist(hurts like mad). I have since found out that CTS can run in the family. My sister has had the op and my mum is due to have it done soon. If your family has small wrists, you can be more likely to suffer from it.

Alos, only have one done at a time. You can't use your hand at all for the first couple of weeks so going for a crap and stuff would be a nightmare. You'll find out who your friends are when you ask them to "lend you a hand".

Just after

Day the stitches came out

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Quack, MTBr and occaisional CTS sufefrer speaking.

1) as per Nick1c – little and ring finger sounds more ulnar nerve distribution than CTS (median nerve). Do a Reverse-Phalen's test if you want to check yourself with the best non-electrical test.
    2) Surgery does not always help CTS, and I have seen people who needed 2 ops on the same side.
    3) Sometimes a steroid injection in to the CT can help and may be useful to see if CT decompression will work.

Worst things for me setting it off are gripping the bars too hard going over rocks fast, or using a hammer.

Thanks for all the replies.
    By 4th and 5th digit, I mean ring and little finger. Not the classic symptoms and combined with having no night time pain, it does look like maybe it's not CTS.
    Those fingers are still numb now after doing SITS solo last weekend. I've been driving in to work all week to try and give my hands and wrists a rest.
    I just tried that Reverse Phalen's test. I think I was doing it right. It made no difference.
    I guess the best plan for now is wait for the full results, keep taking the Naproxen and give up on the fully rigid for a while and ride with suspension forks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I was told I had CTS when it was refered nerve pain / nerve compression from a neck issue.

I would think it quite plausible that if you have neck pain / trapped nerve that this is the cause of the pain / numbness in your hands in your hands

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Carpal tunnel. Any experiences or advice ?’ is closed to new replies.