Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Caring for a Steel Frame.
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi guys, bought my first steel steed, a very nice Whyte 19 steel. Apart from the usual helitaping of cable rub areas and a chainstay protector does anyone recommend a squirt of waxoyl in the frame? Any other hints/tips appreciated.

Ta

tinsy
    Free Member

You would care for it a lot more without the steed reference.

Just ride it.

wwaswas

frame saver through all the available apertures. make sure frame is warm and the waxy stuff so that it spreads easily.

take the seatpost out when storing to let the seat tube dry out.

69er
    Free Member

Steel bike frame? Drill a 1/4″ hole in the b/b to let the water out (this will void any warranty), chuck some waxoyl around as above if you are of a worrying disposition. Then ride it like you stole it and throw it in a corner when you’re done. It’ll still be around in 20 years…

I love steel frames 😀 !

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nadda, nothing, zilch.

If anything I treat my steel bikes worse than anything else. Steel is hard, aluminium is soft, chicks dig scars (but bikes are all ‘she’ so mine is clearly a raveing lesbian).

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have never seen a frame rusted through, have you?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Ride it, wash it, lube the tranny, ride it, wash it lube the tranny……………. the middle phase may be deleted and replaced with drink beer.

wwaswas

my Gary Fisher Ferrous did – seat tube looked like a swiss cheese 🙁

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ha ha, cheers for the advice. First outing tomorrow night…can’t wait.

leffeboy

Yep. A bit by the chain stays on an old rockhopper I had

iainc

I used that weigle frame saver stuff on my current Rock Lobster when I got it in 2006. Still stinks 😛

mrmo
    Free Member

have never seen a frame rusted through, have you?

Do you want to see my Bontrager Race frame? rusted through on the seat tube. Seen a few road frames fail from inside out as well.

make sure you drain the frame if it gets water in it. It will rust inside out not outside in, so don’t worry about the chips it will pick up over time. Could try a waxol type product.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I sprayed waxoil on a frame about 14 years ago. I thought about spraying my BFe with it in February when I got it but couldn’t be bothered. I don’t expect it to rust through before it needs replacing for a different reason.

Northwind

I remember hearing a chap complain that he left his bike in the sun one day, and the waxoyl melted and dribbled out onto the brake disk 😯

I still ride my ’91 tange-tubed Carrera most days, it has a few scars from surface rust- the paint was very damaged in places and let it really take root, and it’s been a year-round commuter for half its life. But still going strong. And there’s little chance I’ll still be riding any of today’s frames in 20 years!

brokensoul
    Free Member

What Steve_b77 said. ^^

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Caring for a Steel Frame.’ is closed to new replies.