• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by csb.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cargo trikes for carrying kids
  • csb

Currently have a co-pilot seat for one kid but will soon have the dilemma of having to take 2 kids to nursery then get myself onto work. 1km to nursery, 2km onwards to work. Have underground parking and can put in shed at home.

Has anyone any experience of the box trikes that take kids? Quite hilly here so would need easy gears or electric assist.

Any advice?

TiRed

How old are the kids? For 1km, I’d suggest a trailer and leave it at the nursery. Otherwise you need the Flying Banana 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

We got a Nihola second-hand – it’s now at the shop as a demo – and it’s fantastic for that kind of thing – very stable to ride, can chuck two kids and loads of shopping in the box.

boxelder

Trailer+1
    Easier to pull than you’d think and luggage space.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Google “Butchers & Bicycles” and prepare for some serious want.

kcr
    Free Member

I have a short wheelbase Bakfiets, which will comfortably take two with lots of other stuff under their feet. It’s heavy, but has a low geared 8 speed Nexus hub, which allows me to twiddle up just about anything. On the flat, once you are up to speed, it cruises very easily.
    It’s one of the best bikes I have ever owned and we’ve have had lots of fun with it, so I will be sorry to see it go when the kids are finally too big for it. It’s nice being able to chat and point things out when you are riding along. It has a folding rain hood, which can be popped up very quickly in bad weather.
    It’s great for big loads, and I even used it for a 10 mile commute for a while, when my work bike was out of action. Bottom line is it just makes me smile whenever I go out for a spin on it.
    They are not cheap (I managed to get an ex demo model) but they are really well built, and I think the resale value should be OK. Beware of Chinese manufactured knock-offs which are about half the price, but have under-spec’d frames and components.

lardman
    Free Member

I use a Yuba Mundo here.
    Can carry my twins, plus bikes/scooters and on the odd occasion the eldest one on the running boards too!

lardman
    Free Member

and this one…

lardman
    Free Member

I take the two little ‘un’s out, and used to drop thew eldest off at nursery too!
    Lots of hills around here, and it’s no problem with the right gearing.

Once you get the whole thing up to speed, its hard to tell they’re behind you.
    Get a big front brake disc, and fatter rear tyre than you’d initially think.

The bike seats are not cheap, but are solid on this frame.

natrix
    Free Member

Double trailer?

It won’t be long before the eldest is at school, so factor that into the equation.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you considered an xtracycle freeradical kit? You can fit a couple of the Yepp seats, or a Hooptie.

I’ve got a trailer but really not keen on using it on the roads during during commuting hours. Think I may go for an xtracycle when I need to get both kids to nursery.

Am also considering one on the top tube with something like a wee ride, and another on the back with a hamax seat.

takisawa2

We had a trailer. Great when they are very young, as they are out of the wind, rain, snow!!!, & will happily fall asleep. Have to pick your route though, but you have the option of unhooking the trailer & leaving at nursery. That’s what I used to do.

On-One "Slidey" Inbred by pten2106, on Flickr

When they get bigger, it’s a heck of a lot easier with a Cargobike. Ours was a Kona Ute. Probably the cheapest option. An Xtracycle kit adds up to close on £1k by the time you add in a donor bike.
    The Ute was the best bike I’ve ever owned. Just brilliant. Turns heads everywhere.
    I’ve carried all manner of loads, including the Wifes friends on the odd occasion.
    🙂

IMAG0116 by pten2106, on Flickr

IMAG0774 by pten2106, on Flickr

csb

Ben, saw that on your site. Looks ace. Want to do a deal? Don’t like the idea of trailers, seem too vulnerable, but my god the trikes are pricey aren’t they!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cargo trikes for carrying kids’ is closed to new replies.