Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Careers advice please!
  • Ben1
    Free Member

Hello all,
    This is very much OT but I'm stuck with a bit of a dilemma and hoping that the STW crowd can come to my rescue. Here goes…

For the last couple of years I've been working in a fairly senior role in public relations, saving up so I could quit and take a belated gap year. However, just as I've handed in my notice at my current job, I've been offered two others. Should I:

a) Take job one – a significant promotion and excellent for the CV, paying a very good wage, and likely to be good fun. BUT begrudgingly postpone any thoughts of a long holiday for a couple of years.

b) Take job two – a fixed three month contract paying a lot of money for fairly easy work, BUT involves going back to somewhere I worked before and didn't enjoy, and is a bit of a backwards step in career terms.

c) Quit anyway, and spend the next six months happily backpacking around south america, then find a job when I get back.

I know that compared to many of the stories that get told on here this is a pretty fortunate position to be in – but I genuinely stuck and have no idea what to do. Thoughts???

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd go with a) given what I presume the market is like. Maybe negotiate a few months off in between to kick back?

mossmaned
    Free Member

**** it -quit! I would love to that.

sofatester
    Free Member

Sensible answer – A

Take the job; use the extra money to go on some amazing shorter trips with your holiday entitlement. Then live for the weekends.

Fun answer – C

Burn your money having a blast round the world. Then come back and try and find a job, while boring your friends with stores of drunken nights and missed flights.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

c)

Done it twice now. It does put you back in career terms but there is more to life than a career

lunge

A. But see if u can get a couple of months off before u start

scottyjohn
    Free Member

'A' in the current climate Id say. Do two years and then take your year out, CV will have benefited and it sounds like its fun anyway

clubber
    Free Member

C unless A will enable you to take a better trip(s) in a couple of years once you've banked the money and experience and you don't mind waiting.

Or A if you can take a couple of months off before.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Careers advice please!’ is closed to new replies.