Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Career change – htf do you go about it?
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Currently a teacher but not a **** clue what i really want to do as a career 🙁
    The job is just that – a job. Not many areas of enjoyment bar pay and hols, but every day is feeling like a wasted day 🙁
    How do i find a job or career to enthuse me??

DT78
    Free Member

when you find out can you let me know too?

bartat
    Free Member

use your long holiday to enjoy yourself – stop thinking about it – at the end you'll know

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

doesn't help when you have 7 weeks of term in front of you, no where to hide, and no enthusiasm for what you are doing!

Junkyard
    Free Member

here
    you can e-mail me I can register you on to a site but not till Tuesday as I am not at work and the site check the IP address onc eit is done you can access it

mikertroid
    Free Member

marsdenman
    Free Member

Simples…

Share the commute journey with your significant other.
    Have a deep dislike for your current job.
    Have them have a love for their job, though it's taxing and, at times, they vent like they hate it.

Share the 1 hr each way journey for several years, regaling each other with
    1. Discussing the traffic.
    2. Discussing how much you hate your job
    3. What's for tea (way home only)
    4. Discussing how much you hate your job
    5. Repeat 1-4

Result, one memorable morning, MrsMM turns to me and tells me to shut the firk up about the job and do something about it….
    Go on holiday a few weeks later, decide that if MrMM is to pursue this career change he has to go at it 100% and we can just get by on one salary….

Hope that helps…. 😉

Disclaimer – note – MrMM lost a huge amount of confidence, drive etc almost as soon as he walked out of the day job for that one last time… 20 months on confidence is well back on track and the business, full time photographer, is on target to break even… it's not easy by an means, but it remains the best thing I ever did…

jam-bo

Decide what you want to do.

Do it.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

For the sake of your students quit tomorrow

Seriously

My education was crap and I really wonder what I could have done if Id had decent teachers instead of the bunch of wasters who couldnt give a toss let alone inspire their kids on to better themselves

Im not kidding

Oh and good luck with whatever it is

Sorry to be a downer, but I had a crap education as did all of the kids at my school and I would have killed for a decent teacher to motivate me not someone who obviously didnt like their job and wished they were somewhere else

Cheers!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Get up one shitty rainy October morning at five o'clock. Look out at the darkness in which you'll both be setting out and coming home, and think "I can't do this shit anymore". Open laptop, type resignation letter, drive 150 miles to Stoke, wait for boss, hand boss letter and reply "I haven't the foggiest mate" when he asks what you're planning to do next.

That's what I did. Life happens while you're making plans.

Otherwise, what jambo said +1 🙂

Trampus
    Free Member

Hate to say it, but iamsporticus is right.

It is not just yourself that you are selling short.

Take a chance and change now. Be reckless, and put the buzz back in life! 😯

aracer
    Free Member

Want to do a swap? Becoming a teacher is something I've considered as a way out of the job I'm currently in (though right now I'm going through a phase of not completely hating it).

zaskar
    Free Member

I'm training to be a Chemistry Teacher, I love science and kids/teaching.

Best Fun I ever had even in a troubled school-the kids picked up the "I was there for them vibes". Teachers who hated it-the kids picked this up.

I had crap education too.

You have a holiday soon OP. Which subject do you teach?

Easy once you know what you want to do-life is too short to be miffed.

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

wot jambo said plus one.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

iamsporticus – Member

For the sake of your students quit tomorrow

Seriously

My education was crap and I really wonder what I could have done if Id had decent teachers instead of the bunch of wasters who couldnt give a toss let alone inspire their kids on to better themselves

Im not kidding

Oh and good luck with whatever it is

Sorry to be a downer, but I had a crap education as did all of the kids at my school and I would have killed for a decent teacher to motivate me not someone who obviously didnt like their job and wished they were somewhere else

Cheers!

Thats the trouble tho – i am a very good teacher according to exam results/ofsted/pupil surveys/management observations.
    Have a great rapport with the kids but find the silly initiatives that management dream up to be exhausting

alpin
    Free Member

i too need some direction in my life…. i've even been toying with the idea of going to university as the costs here in germany are so low compared to the UK (about 500-600€/semester. not including scotland as it's the english paying the fees).

i too am a teacher. although English Language – think TEFL. quite an un rewarding job with shitty hours (when i have any) and no holiday pay.

i'm a trained carpenter, but having experiences the german work ethic it scares me silly to think i could be doing so much for so little till my back goes or i'm unlucky enough that it doesn't and i work until i'm 70.

i'm guiding this summer in the alps, but that isn't going to keep me going through winter and i won't be able to do it till the day i die.
    i have got an idea/plan to make a living through biking, but it'll take quite a bit of invest in time and money.

really got no idea what i should do in the mean time…

rs
    Free Member

the silly initiatives that management dream up to be exhausting

I can't stand all that pish about team building and setting career goals, just let us do our jobs and go home at the end of each day. If I'm doing a good job promote me and give me more money, would save a ton of admin work!

Junkyard
    Free Member

decent teacher to motivate me

shame you had no intrinsic motivation

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do it.

Its soooooo easy!

project
    Free Member

Gee, why not move into higher education,or work with adults.

You say you do a good job, and the kids like you,just imagine if your kids hated you, and you thought you where doing a good job,when everyone knew you werent,then the stress would be on everyone else.

A lot of people want career changes, sometinmes the sack or redundancy comes first.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I'll tell you when EMI come knocking*

*there may be a long wait…

jam-bo

cynic-al – Member
    Do it.
    Its soooooo easy!

when you break it down into its key components then yes it is. everything else is just procrastination.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like you could help me!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Do it the simonralli way! Have total conviction that you are doing the right thing, do a masters degree, have a bit of a wobbly for a few weeks half way through with a slight loss of conviction on what seemed like a good diea at the time, meet a Brazilian economist who as a consultant knows many many top CEOs to introduce me to in Brazil, spend time in the Peruvian Amazon doing important research on * cough * natural plant medicines (see endnote), return to Brazil and get a pad together while writing the dissertation, take 2 months off in Scotland in the summer to bike, finish dissertation, then emigrate to Brazil which has one of the world's current strongest economies 😀

(endnote – that's what I told my parents 🙂 )

jam-bo

cynic-al – Member
    Sounds like you could help me!

so what do you want to do….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dunno.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Career change – htf do you go about it?’ is closed to new replies.