Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Career Advice
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m trying to get a job in the environmental sector (Scottish Govt funded projects) and have had several good interviews but keep getting pipped by people with experience in that sector.

Seems I may have to take a call centre job, £17K, with a 1.5hr commute (and £3.5K season rail ticket) to get in. I’m struggling on a similar salary just now (but have savings).

I’m struggling to accept this but there may be no other way…just thinking aloud really!

oliwb
    Free Member

What’s your level of education / is it relevant etc. Might be worth considering something totally different to cut your teeth on. Maybe consider something ‘energy’ based? There are lots of environmental jobs relating to the installation of wind turbines, oil rigs etc.

dooge
    Free Member

The problem I had was just coming across the jobs and knowing whats out there. So many jobs sound awful in the their job description but may be really interesting and vice versus. There are soooo many jobs and professions out there.

I had a friend who moved from Plymouth to Bristol to get a job as a graphic designer. He stayed with friends quite cheaply. His experience was basic but he had a lot of get up and go and natural talent. He had plenty of interviews but like you just lost out everytime. He stupidly got a few ‘temp’ jobs of glass collecting in a local club and working in the newsagent across the road. Hours got cut again and again and he blew £3k of savings to try and stay up there as he refused to get a ‘normal’ job in a supermarket or shop. If he had been sensible and just put up with a normal job for a bit I dont doubt he would have found something.

What Im trying to say is try your hand at anything. If you are a hard worker and reasonably smart you will always find something eventually.

scotroutes

Is moving house an option? Maybe you could find somewhere cheaper to live, with less commute and that might be better placed for a future career and/or other opportunities?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all. “this” job would only be short term – there are probably more opportunities for where I live.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Career Advice’ is closed to new replies.