Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cardiff stag weekend – Ideas?
  • scunny
    Free Member

So we’re off to Cardiff next weekend for a stag do (i’m best man). Arrive on the Friday afternoon, BPW on the Saturday followed by a curry and then a fairly big night. Now I have a loose itinerary in mind and have a seen a few decent looking curry houses and bars but thought i’d ask for some real world opinions.

Best curry houses around the city centre that will take a booking of 14 people? (i’m thinking Mowgli’s, but happy to hear other suggestions)

Friday night will be a steady bar night, real ales are appreciated. Is there a specific area I should be heading for?

Saturday is much of the same, but more of it. Again, recommendations for specific area not too far from the city centre are appreciated, we’ll be staying at the Premier Inn in Roath.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The Mango Tree is nice, it’s on the edge of the City Centre and will possibly be less ‘Wild West’ than anything on St. Mary Street.

I don’t want to knock my home town, but frankly Cardiff City Centre is a mental asylum without locks most night of the week, but especially at the weekend – few people from Cardiff go there, it’s all very big bars catering to Hen and Stag Dos, Students and bus loads of youngsters down from the Vale and the Valleys. If you want a quieter night on the Friday than Whitchurch is a better bet, it’s a taxi ride from your hotel.

bombjack
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s still there, but the booby bar Fantasy Lounge (next to flares) was always a hit at the end of the night, normally followed by a late visit to chip alley for a no holds barred glimpse into the Cardiff wildlife…

davidjey
    Free Member

Cardiff City Centre is a mental asylum without locks most night of the week, but especially at the weekend

I wouldn’t quite go that far, but I know where you’re coming from.

St Mary Street and Greyfriars Road are your classic big chain pub/binge drinking ghettos where the blokes go for a fight and the ladies for a cry in the back of an ambulance. If that’s your scene, head there. If not, Castle Quarter/Westgate Street is more civilized. Urban Tap House does craft ale.

Friday night in Whitchurch not a bad shout – The Plough is good but will be heaving, Fino Lounge is a bit more hipster, Fox & Hounds just off the high street on Old Church Road is a good traditional no-frills pub. You could also try Roath tbf – but I can’t recommend anywhere there, cos I live in Whitchurch so I drink there!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Castle Quarter/Westgate Street is more civilized. Urban Tap House does craft ale

Is it better now then? I have to admit I gave up on “town” 5 years ago and bar a few late night visits at Xmas I’ve never been back, it always followed the same pattern, a new bar would open, it would be nice and a sane-ish night out, but within 6 months everyone’s heard of it and it’s well as you put it, a drinking Ghetto.

I’m told the ‘Cosy Club’ is the nice place to go now, a non descriptive doorway near where the outdoor market used to be – but I’ve not been tempted yet.

ferrals
    Free Member

Another vote for the mango house, good curry (Not been for a few years though). My favourite curry in Cardiff is the fancy one down on the bay, but not really stag environment!

WhiteRussian
    Free Member

If you want real ales then I would echo Urban Tap House. Also a Brewdog bar nearby, City Arms (Queens Vaults!) and Zero Degress along Westgate Street. Place called the Hop Bunker towards the Castle, so not too far too walk if you also wanted to check that out.
    I’m a big fan of Mowgli’s and it should cater for you but get’s busy. Decent studenty boozers nearby for a few beers beforehand (Crwys, The Heath, The Albany).
    Brewery Quarter is OK and once there, loads of places to go in quick succession if you had a crawl in mind. Greyfriars road is a bit of a zoo mind!!

gwaelod
    Free Member

My kids got me this photographers book for my birthday a few months ago. It’s excellent

Cardiff After Dark

Pink Hat - Cardiff, Wales, UK

dragon
    Free Member

I can’t believe people are recommending Whitchurch as a night out, oh how things have changed. Back in the day it was old man’s pubs and the Top Gun chipper. Surely Cathays is a better bet for Friday night?

scunny
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Whitchurch looks like a good shout for Friday night, thanks for that.

Ordinarily the city centre would be the last place we’d spend our time, but it is a stag do so when in Rome (cardiff).

gwaelod
    Free Member

If it’s too noisy by the brewery Quarter etc head up Cathedral Road, our crawl usually consists of Mochyn Du, the Cayo and the Halfway and back again.

It’s nowhere near as exciting as the city centre tho.

acidchunks

My kids got me this photographers book for my birthday a few months ago. It’s excellent

Cardiff After Dark

https://www.flickr.com/photos/maciejdakowicz/sets/1391696/

🙁

I moved back up north in 03, it was heading this way then but still pretty depressing to see

simonbea
    Free Member

I organised a stag a couple months back there. Had a great few hours at the crafty Devil brew shop doing a whiskey and beer pairing session.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cardiff stag weekend – Ideas?’ is closed to new replies.