Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cardiff ridgeway. Rudry to Coch.. Rideable at the moment?
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

It’s been 3 years.. It used to get unrideable at times.

taxi25
    Free Member

There’ll be mud in the usual couple of places, but nothing you can’t blast through or find a way around. I’d only say it’s not worth doing in winter after loads of rain or a thaw !

JackHammer

Anyone got a map of this? Always wondered where it is. (Live in Cardiff)

mooman
    Free Member

Reminder too – trails around t-shack descent have also been trashed/blocked.
    (Or so I have read)

muttley109
    Free Member

Where’s the t-shack descent?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Behind the Burger place atop of Caerphilly Mountain?

Was okay a few weeks ago.

Trail wise, I haven’t been up in a few weeks, but experience tells me it’ll be soft, wet but rideable, it’s been raining on/off all day, week, month, since June really bar a few days, so you won’t have to worry about getting dust in your eyes sadly.

Hoping for some sunny weather in the coming weeks, but Derek Brockway says no at the moment.

muttley109
    Free Member

Yeah we could do with a dry spell, it seems to be perma-mud up castell coch at the moment.

taxi25
    Free Member

Reminder too – trails around t-shack descent have also been trashed/blocked.
    (Or so I have read)

There’s lots of the more natural stuff left, but a lovely piece that must have taken ages to build has been wiped of the face of the earth.
    Signs announce it was deemed unsafe, it wasn’t, just to man made and drew attention 🙁

milky1980
    Free Member

Rode it earlier in the week and it was nicely dry for the majority. Still wet round the gates (never seen them dry!) but nicely fast. Was a pain getting back up the rooty bit on the way back but then I had ridden From Castell Coch to Cwmcarn for a lap and back, with a little play in Machen Woods too 😀

JackHammer – it’s the bridleway that starts just south of the pub in Rudry, heads West past Cefn Onn and towards the golf course and through it. Carry on to the main road and you’re near Castell Coch with a few DH runs down the hill.

copa
    Free Member

Was a pain getting back up the rooty bit on the way back but then I had ridden From Castell Coch to Cwmcarn for a lap and back, with a little play in Machen Woods too

How long does a loop like that take you milky?

danjthomas
    Free Member

Cheers all was a nice ride. Got lost coming back through the shack mind!

milky1980
    Free Member

copa – 6 hours roughly. 37 miles, 5000ft of climbing. Was tough going in the heat!! need to find a better way over from Machen to Penrhiw Warren than Penrhiw Lane, need to explore options through the woods to lessen the climb.

mooman
    Free Member

6hrs !!!

Puncture or 12?

milky1980
    Free Member

Loads of time sessioning jumps in the woods 😀 Worked out at ~2 hrs from Castell Coch to Cwmcarn, 2 hrs riding the Twrch and playing on the freeride section then 2 hrs getting back. Did stop a lot of the views etc too.

Oh and it was bloody hot!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cardiff ridgeway. Rudry to Coch.. Rideable at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.