Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cardiff Locals – Advice please (Walking and pubs)
  • theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Going to be in central Cardiff this weekend, on Sunday we’d(A group of 12 mates) would like to do a scenic walk finishing with a pub lunch somewhere- ideally on the coast or a nice natural setting. Call it a wind down after a hectic weekend.

Location can be a drive out of Cardiff as we have transport, we’re all heading back east after lunch so ideally we wouldn’t want to drive west too far out of Cardiff.

Any suggestions for locations? Thanks!

p.s. payment by virtual-pint to the best suggestion.. or turn up at the pub on Sunday and I’ll buy you a real one 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Traeth Mawr? Access near Monknash (which has a pub), about 20 miles from Cardiff.

Big beach, sand, rocks, cliffs, waterfalls, fossils…

Paulio
    Free Member

That area in the Vale of Glamorgan for a walk followed by lunch at the Plough and Harrow in Monknash was my first thought. You’d need to book for a large group on a Sunday though.

seanoc
    Free Member

Nice ridgeway walk from the Maenllwyd in Machen. Or, if you can get in, you’d be hard pressed to get a better walk/pub combo than Garth Mountain/Castell Coch and finish in the Gwaelod inn for lunch.

plyphon
    Free Member

Cardiff Local advice?

Avoid them.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Nice ridgeway walk from the Maenllwyd in Machen. Or, if you can get in, you’d be hard pressed to get a better walk/pub combo than Garth Mountain/Castell Coch and finish in the Gwaelod inn for lunch.

Sounds interesting; where can I find more info about Garth mountain walks?

seanoc
    Free Member

How far do you want to walk? I could do you a nice route description. Bluebells are popping out, so it’s looking really pretty.

scratch
    Free Member

Gwaelods a top pub, apart from that time I went in last July and some maniac kept putting ‘Feed the world’ on the jukebox……

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

How far? Anything from 2miles to about 5 or 6?

SaxonRider

Try this. It roughly matches the area described by seanoc, above.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Thanks- work firewall is blocking for some reason, but i’ll take a look from home

seanoc
    Free Member

Oh that’s a nice site Saxon Rider, your link is to a natty Castell Coch walk though which is full of **** mountain bikers on the weekend.
    This HERE looks nice and simple though and gets you some nice views of the city.

officialtob
    Free Member

Slightly less natural setting, but I love the bay barrage loop. About 4 and a half miles (can easily be extended), lots to see, and can start/finish in the bay where there are tonnes of nice restaurants and bars etc.

🙂

turtleheading
    Free Member

http://goo.gl/maps/SXujU

Pub here, walking around pub. WIN. Also best pub in cardiff IMO, booking advised. Enjoy

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Gwaelod Inn booked! Looks like a good base for a walk, should be fun.

Thanks all!

seanoc
    Free Member

I may see you about then, it’s my birthday and i’ve a funny feeling the Gwealod has been booked.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Come say hello- we should be a group of 8-12!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cardiff Locals – Advice please (Walking and pubs)’ is closed to new replies.