Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • card reader or usb?
  • johnny_met
    Free Member

I’ve always connected my camera using usb, but my new laptop has a built in card reader. Are there any advantages to using the reader?

jon1973
    Free Member

I always use the USB because I figure it’s less wear and tear (and less hassle) then if you keep on removing the card. Doesn’t seem to be any slower to me.

stuartm555
    Free Member

it saves having to find the cable 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

it saves having to find the cable

there is that.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

USB is fine if you only have one card, but for multiple cars it’s quicker to load a card reader than a camera.

Also depends on your camera USB speed vs the card reader speed, which I guess might only a concern if you always have lots of photos to uploads.

ebygomm
    Free Member

If you use the usb you’re less likely to take your camera out without putting the card back in it

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Less likely to damage the small USB port on the camera, saves battery power and a good card reader is a lot quicker (especially handy with high mp cameras and even more so if you shoot RAW)

Cougar

Assuming USB2, there shouldn’t be much difference performance wise. Being “worn out” isn’t a problem I’ve run into thus far with either USB sockets or SD cards. There may be an issue if you’re a ham-fisted gibbon I suppose.

One thing I found was that connecting via USB lets you press a button on the camera to automagically copy the pics into dated folders. Using the card reader doesn’t do that, you’ve to sort them manually.

Ultimately, there’s one way to find out, try it and see. If you can’t tell a difference, then it doesn’t matter.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Being “worn out” isn’t a problem I’ve run into thus far with either USB sockets or SD cards

Some people have had a problem with CF cards and bent pins, not quite sure how other than ramming them in the wrong way round (don’t know what the OP uses)

Have seen official advice from camera manufacturers about using a card reader so as not to damage the mini usb port on the camera

Definitely saves valuable battery power using a card reader and could possibly cause problems if the power ran out during transfer

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Assuming USB2, there shouldn’t be much difference performance wise.

Not all USB 2.0 devices actually support Hi-Speed USB!

One thing I found was that connecting via USB lets you press a button on the camera to automagically copy the pics into dated folders. Using the card reader doesn’t do that, you’ve to sort them manually.

Depends on the card reader an software. I use a SanDisk reader and my Nikon software automatically starts, downloads, wipes card (hundreds of thousand of RAW files done this way, havn’t lost anything yet), sorts, renames, and make me a cup of tea on inserting the card. OK, maybe it doesn’t make the tea yet, but I’m working on it.

Cougar

Not all USB 2.0 devices actually support Hi-Speed USB!

When I said “assuming USB2,” I was meaning “assuming that it’s actually transferring at USB2 speeds,” it was just easier to type.

Depends on the card reader an software

Fair enough. It was just an anecdote, really.

DrJ

I always use the card reader to avoid unpleasant accidents with expensive-camera-linked-to-expensive-computer-by-cable-that-can-be-tripped-over situations 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I would use the card reader if it handled CF.. but I do find it more ergonomic to use the reader, as above – doesn’t chew battery, don’t need to find the cable, don’t need to balance camera on arm of chair or whatever.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘card reader or usb?’ is closed to new replies.