Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Car/Bus/Bike poster
  • epicyclo

DezB
    Free Member

Not sure of the point of it really…

Why is it zoomed in on the cars pic? what if there was 5 people in each car? and only 1 person on the bus cos it’s too expensive?

tops5
    Free Member

You can get 5 people in a car = 12 cars??

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d say 2 per car was high for most journeys, especially urban commutes. Agree that busses are way to expensive, though. I suppose if more poeple used them the price could come down and they could offer more useful services but its a catch 22.

jackthedog
    Free Member

You can get 5 people in a car. But a quick look through the windscreens of 95% of cars in rush hour traffic suggests we rarely do. One person, one car is closer to the mark. And rush hour buses are generally heaving.

Good poster, I like it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Zoomed in factor is the first thing everyone I know has noticed so far – obviously looks like they’re trying to make it look worse, rather than just letting it speak for itself.

midlifecrashes

You can get 5 people on a bike = 12 bikes?

How long before HOV cycle lanes in thatLondon?

Seriously though, car, bus or bike, how many of the journeys could have been done on foot? I know quite a few of mine can when I use a bike.

Moe

More often than not, if there is more than one person in the car it’s most likely sprogs and or spouse …. which can also mean double the journeys (drop off, drive back, drive back, pick up).

GrahamS

There is a MUCH better version of this at: http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Highway_robbery

epicyclo

Agree, much better. 🙂

I reckon the real question is how much is it costing us to provide facilities for cars in our cities. The hidden extra tax to provide space for cars.

Look at a photo from the 50s and there was hardly a car to be seen in suburban streets, yet people still managed to get around. Of course much has changed since then, most facilities have been centralised and small local schools etc phased out. A bit hard to turn back time.

But why do cars have to have the best bits of our city centres?

jackthedog
    Free Member

But why do cars have to have the best bits of our city centres?

Agreed. I think it’s a travesty how much our built environment has been turned over to the car.

portlyone

It all started to go down hill when people started to think they were too good for buses.

GrahamS

Wasn’t the problem more to do with buses getting too scummy for people?

project
    Free Member

Wasnt it thatcher who said if you get to 30m and havent got a car, youre a failure, now im just past that age and i want a bus.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Wasn’t the problem more to do with buses getting too scummy for people?

Buses round here (Sheffield) are pretty good to be fair. Low floor, comfy seats, quiet. The new ones even have Wifi.

DezB
    Free Member

The new ones even have Wifi.

Ah, that must justify charging 6quid for a 3 mile journey.

DezB
    Free Member

From the GrahamS link
    We are told that congestion is due to bus lanes, cyclists, pedestrians and lorries taking up the road

I’ve never heard that!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Wasn’t congestion down to the fact we have not yet replaced all roads and streets with 6-lane hyperways?

I’m all for the bus/bike principle, but there is no way I’m getting that close to fellow cycle commuters – frikkin erratic! At least the cars are usually stationary 🙂

jackthedog
    Free Member

Ah, that must justify charging 6quid for a 3 mile journey.

I don’t know what a single journey costs. I just get a day rider for £3.70 and use the buses and trams to my hearts’ content.

But mostly I ride the bike.

GrahamS

> We are told that congestion is due to bus lanes, cyclists, pedestrians and lorries taking up the road

I’ve never heard that!

I need to introduce you to my father-in-law then 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Car/Bus/Bike poster’ is closed to new replies.