Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • carbon wheels on ebay
  • larrythelathe
    Free Member

Has anyone tried any?

Good or bad idea? I am think 29 er

njee20
    Free Member

Light Bike ones are well reputed. I’d definitely have a set.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Second light bikes – have thought long and hard about their 29er rims.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Got a link to eBay.

d45yth
    Free Member

You can find any info you need to know if you look over on MTBR.

z1ppy

How about a summary? (116pages!)

larrythelathe
    Free Member

It seemed to be aimed more at road wheels

njee20
    Free Member

Summary: they’re good, get them.

Jason
    Free Member

I have been using a set of the Light Bike Wide 29er rims for a few months now, I have ridden about 600 miles on them – partly on a hardtail and also on a full suss. So far i am very pleased with them, the finish of the product looks great, and they have stayed very true since building them up. I am running them with Bontrager tubeless strips and they are very easy to set up tubeless (I have used Schwalbe TLR and Specialized 2bliss tyres) The only issue I had was I couldn’t get the Bontrager tubeless valves to seal, but switched to some Stan’s ones and they work fine. The rims are very stiff before they are built into a wheel. A rim like a Crest has a bit of flex in it, with these carbon rims they really wouldn’t twist. I don’t think I have noticed this additional stiffness when riding, but if you read the mtbr thread lots of people do…

The only weakness to the rims appears to rock strikes that would dent a aluminium rim. On the mtbr thread there a couple of examples of failures from this. It is hard to tell how badly that sort of impact would have damaged a light weight ali rim.

I bought my rims directly from Light Bikes and they were great to deal with, shipping was fairly quick.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Did you build it up yourself?
    What hub did you use? What spoke?

I wish I had the confidence to build one my self!

Jason
    Free Member

Yes I built them up myself. Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs. Dt Swiss Comp spokes. I haven’t built loads of wheels, but these ones were pretty easy to build.

plop_pants
    Free Member

This ’em?
    light-bicycle

ndg
    Free Member

Jason,

do you have a link to a light bikes auction, can’t find them! Also, roughly how much did you pay for them?

Cheers

ssboggy

You can buy them direct from the site plop pants linked to, i’m just waiting for a pair of the wide 29er rims to be dispatched. Think they came to £238 for the pair including shipping.

ndg
    Free Member

Ah, cross post!

Cheers

Jason
    Free Member

I also got mine direct from Light Bicycle, and think they were about the same price.

These ones: http://www.light-bicycle.com/wider-carbon-mountain-29er-rims-clincher-tubeless-compatible.html

tomhoward

Slight hijack, the light bike road wheels. Am I better buying the (24mm clinchers) with novatech hubs, or just the rims and build them up with [snob] nice hubs, that I’ve heard of/had expeience with. [/snob]?

Any experiences of the full sets or just the rims?

njee20
    Free Member

Cheaper to buy the constituent parts than the whole wheels. I’d just get the rims and use whatever hubs you want. I’d probably still get Novatech.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

good thread… will be in the market for some road wheels come april.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I’d like to get some rims from them but I’m a bit confused as to which carbon is best. I want them for cyclocross so was thinking of the 38mm tub rims but 3k,12k,UD???

njee20
    Free Member

That’s basically cosmetic. Jason’s are UD. 3k is like the Easton EC70 stuff of old – a ‘typical’ weave, 12k is like the older Scott frames – fat weave. Personally I’d get 3k.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    More interested in the narrow 29ers.Doesn’t really say how easy to set up tubeless even though it says its possible.Any first hand experience.Would rather use Stans yellow tape and valves if possible.Also says the narrow rims are more flexible? After a lightweight XC rim.
    Thanx,
    Max.

Northwind

I’ve got one of the wide carbon 26er ones on order, taking a wee while longer as it’s a custom build with different spoke count. Heard a lot of good things, so we’ll see how it does I guess. They had the option of a heavier one but I decided to chance it with the standard version.

Went for matte UD just for prettiness, 12K is just orrible and I’ve seen too much orrible fake carbon on motorbikes for 3K to appeal.

infidel
    Free Member

I was looking at the 26″ rims yesterday after reading this thread – are they $150 each or a pair for the rims? Apologies for what is probably a stupid question!!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is the pro’s over say stan’s crests that they are just stiffer, as they seem a heavier option from the specs.

bedmaker

I’ve been using the same wider 29er ones as Jason for a few weeks now. 399g on my scales, built onto King hubs with DT supercomp spokes by me.
    I came from flow rims so they are the same width. There is a slight increase in stiffness noticeable when pulling out of ruts and hard cornering but nothing too startling. If you are coming from crests though then the difference will be huge.
    More noticeable for me is the ‘muting’ effect when going fast on surfaces like loose fire road or stony tracks, a bit like carbon bars or a Ti seat post.
    260 for the pair including customs charges and shipping.
    I had a blowouout, ripping a hole in my rear tyre on a very fast, rocky descent on boxing day. I rolled for a fair distance on the rim before coming to a halt on the sharp rocks. There is one chip to the lacquer but no other damage apparent.
    So far, so good.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sounds good. Just in the process of choosing some xc 29er rims, so looking at options.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Has anyone got the actual weight?

boxfish
    Free Member

I built up a pair of the 26″ wider rims from light-bicycle. The published weight of the rims was accurate.

c_klein87

My 29er rims are in customs at the moment, I can post weights when I receive them, but as boxfish says they are fairly consistent now, they seem to manufacture to order so not sure if that aids consistency or not.

http://chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.com

larrythelathe
    Free Member

How much did you all have to pay in tax

c_klein87

my rims arrived, 370 & 374grams, had to pay 25quid handling fee, this is rare as i’ve had frames and forks which i haven’t had to pay.

ssboggy

Mine arrived yesterday. 3 day’s from China to Coventry then another 20 days to clear customs and get delivered! Had to pay £22 customs fee. Weights for the wide 29er rims are 382g and 387g

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘carbon wheels on ebay’ is closed to new replies.