Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Carbon Wheel upgrade on CX Bike?
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Is it worth the investment?

I’ve absolutely fallen in love with my new Planet X XLS and in just the few weeks I’ve owned it it’s probably been used more than any other bike in my garage.

So, I’m already looking at ways to upgrade it. The forest trails I’m mainly riding do have a few rooty sections and few little lips and bumps – generally a little bit more technical than a typical grassy muddy park ride. I’m trying to adjust my riding style to compensate for the fact that despite its off road credentials it’s not designed to take the hits of a mountain bike but I seem to occasionally forget that.

So, I can see the wheels taking a bit of a battering very quickly so I want to start the upgrade there. Doesn’t have to be carbon really but something that will hold together would be a bonus. Is a carbon wheel going to be more or less reliable than alloy?

jonk

Pro 2 on arch EX rims running tubeless ……

paulevans
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Light Bicycle 50mm section carbon clinchers that I’m going to be selling very soon. Disc specific with no rim braking surface. Very, very nice, but a little bit of a handful up here in the windy north!

They seem to be very strong and the Novatec hubs run as smooth as any other that i’ve had. Very light too – approx 1450gr for the pair from memory.

Go carbon if you can would be my advice as there is a notable improvement in stiffness, weight etc….

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Ooh, Let me know if/when you decide to sell them. Could be interested.

flattyre
    Free Member

I did and it transformed my bike (giant tcx). They are just cheap carbon ones off eBay. Have done about 10 races now and still perfectly true. They are tubular but guess clincher would be the same.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll be going Carbon and looked at Reynolds/Roval and Mavic. All Disc specific and I’m happy to spend some money on them too.. I’m not doing it until after Xmas mind so still running my Giant Rims and Challenge tyres.

I’ve seen some nice rims on some CX’ers recently, all have done some serious racing on them and that gives me confidence in the Brands mentioned and the courses/routes I’ll be using them on.. Oh and they’ll be Clinchers, fixing Tubs at the side of a trail is a total PITA and I ain’t doing that.

Not that any of that helps you but there are rims out there that work, have been used in some pretty severe conditions and so far no one has come up to me and said “don’t do it” Which means I will.

HTH 😕

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Another Chinese carbon tub wheel user here in two seasons of racing. No problems and wouldn’t go back from tubs to clinchers

globalti
    Free Member

I’m guessing you find the CX faster up hill and on the flat by how do you find it on rocky downhills compared with a mountain bike?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Another vote for Pro 2 / Stans Arch EX.

paulevans
    Free Member

F.I – happy to sell them now if you’re interested. PM me if you are interested, email is in my profile 😀

eddie11
    Free Member

Deep section ebay carbon tubs for horrid muddy racing but not for bashing around off-road

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Wheel upgrade on CX Bike?’ is closed to new replies.