Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Carbon vs alloy rims
  • Paul-j

So carrying on from my thread on which wheel set.

I’ve been doing a bit of thinking, and wondered on some peoples real experience.

Light bicycles carbon rim 38mm external or alloy rim dt Swiss ex417 or mavic xl?

Do carbon rims really make for a harsher ride, is it worth it for keeping the weight down?

Cheers

Daffy

If you’re prepared to hold on, i’ll be able to answer this question after the weekend.

I have a set of CK hubs on Stans Arch 650b and I’m about to build a set of CK hubs on LB 30mm rims. I’m planning on riding both back to back on the same tyres on the same bike.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Don’t bother.

Save your money, the weight difference is a negligible amount.

Unless you have Enve stickers, then you will go 10% faster, immediately.

Northwind

It divides opinion tbh. A big part of it seems to be down to whether or not you think weight reduction is worthwhile. I do, personally, I like light wheels- they feel faster which means I ride faster and enjoy riding more. And I can’t say as I’m aware of any harshness, which isn’t to say it’s not there. Not aware of any stiffness benefit either.

I’ve tested one LB rim to destruction and it way outlived the heavier alu rim I had on the same bike before that, and along the way took some hits that could have reasonably written off any rim. (there’s no alu rim of the same weight that would have done as well). I was very happy with that. Also pretty pleased that LB gave me a solid discount off a different rim despite it being out of warranty and not what I’d consider a failure anyway.

And the 26er pair I’ve just retired (due to 26ergeddon) have likewise outperformed the Flows, Flow Exes and Fulcrums that pre-deceased them. Maybe it’s the letter F? I think I broke/heavily damaged 5 alu rims in that bike but the carbons did better.

So, I put another set on the 29er and I don’t expect to regret it. I certainly would expect to regret putting a 1650g (*) alu wheelset on a 150mm 29er. Or for that matter a 2kg alu wheelset which is probably what the alternative would have been. Did give some thought to DT and WTB though.

(* disclaimer- may not be actual weight, it’s something like that)

Paul-j

Well you never know hob nob, that 10% may get me from 90th to 89th position 🙂

I suppose it’s a case of needing to actually try back to back as daffy is trying.

bigjim

mine were definitely harsher and stiffer, not much lighter though, the width made tyre very stable though. I’m back on alloy, not sure I would go carbon again, the only reason would be I’m currently on a 29er and the stiffness might be good, but not noticed my aluminium ones flexing very much.

gelert
    Free Member

I ride 26in Carbon AMs and Flow EX on the same bikes regularly swapping them. There’s a difference in weight of 250g. 200g from the rims. Both sets of wheels are brilliant. I can’t really say theres more than a few seconds in them on gravity assisted runs. It’s only up hill and very long rides the Carbon set wins out and it’s not by much. The carbon wheels were cheaper than the Flows on Hope as it happens. I haven’t broken either set and I’ve raced them both at XC, Enduro and DH this year. I’ve got identical tyres on them at the moment, just fitted them up for winter.

I think there’s more in the build of wheels than most people realise. Aluminium isn’t dead for wheels though. I like both sets equally and treat them the same. Jumps and drops, etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Carbon vs alloy rims’ is closed to new replies.