Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • carbon v steel cross forks
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Make much difference? Particularly interested if using one on a steel frame. Weight can be significantly saved by using carbon but any other considerations?

aP
    Free Member

Flex. A lot of modern cross forks seem to be very badly affected by brake judder. Tediously my Argon 18 suddenly seems to have developed it today after 18 months of not doing it.

crikey
    Free Member

seems to have developed it today after 18 months of not doing it.

Probably a sign that your brake blocks have worn flat; mine did the same a week after the 3 Peaks, need to toe them in again.

aP
    Free Member

Yup – was actually thinking that on my ride into work.
    This year’s 3PCX was grim – I haven’t really ridden since seeing as I have a ulnar collateral ligament injury from a fall at the foot of the first climb (doh).

fontmoss
    Free Member

So judder not an inherent issue?..

aP
    Free Member

Not generally with my argon 18, but with my previous frame using Easton EC70 forks it was very intrusive – to the point that the front wheel would come off the ground on heavy braking.

cynic-al
    Free Member

carbon likely to be stiffer. Shame there’s no light steel forks around anymore 🙁

Brant?

fontmoss
    Free Member

anymore thoughts?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

All the people racing this weekend who had steel frames had carbon forks.

nedrapier

and seatposts? People go on about

a) how compliant steel is,
    and
    b) how Ti and Carbon seatposts are great because they have more give in them that alloy.

Following that, steel posts should be a staple. Or is it all a load of bow lakes?

nedrapier

I can see stiffness being more of an issue with forks, though. No-one likes brakes rub and flutter. beef up to avoid that, and I guess you’ve got a heavy fork.

No excuse for the seatposts, though!

allthepies
    Free Member

Flex. A lot of modern cross forks seem to be very badly affected by brake judder

The judder is probably caused by the brake hanger being fixed the the headset rather than the forks. A common CX problem fixed by a fork mounted hanger.

saladdodger
    Free Member

SO with me planning on getting a Cotic X is the use of my project 2 forks a good idea or should I go carbon???

myheadsashed

You can bend steel forks back after a “moment’ 😳

cynic-al
    Free Member

SD why not try them?

Steel seatposts…making the clamp in steel is heavy and expensive…in alu is dodgy.

Swedish chef did you think about the availability of light steel forks?

TimothyD
    Free Member

Cynic-al; Could be possible to get somebody to make a light steel fork?

I guess Nigel Wilson or Chas Roberts could make some or Dave Yates.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Maybe…at a cost tho.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Yes, probably certainly at a cost.

If you mentally spread the cost over the next couple of years, and looked at it in monthly segments though, and remember you’d only spend the money on forks once, it starts to look justifiable. 🙂

TimothyD
    Free Member

Isn’t self deception great?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like your thinking. Do you have lovely bikes and a load of debt? 😉

jameso

I had a carbon fork on my Genesis Day One CX ss tester bike – same as the Cotic x, Voodoo, Ridgeback and other’s fork – and found the steel one that was specced for production more comfortable. But it was heavier.

Problem is, comfort in a fork means flex and that flex isn’t so good for control or under hard braking, although ‘hard’ braking on a cx bike is relative..

I know it’s not rational but I rode the bike harder on the steel fork. Something very reassuring about a steel F+F.

jameso

TimD should work in bike sales.. )

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Swedish chef did you think about the availability of light steel forks?

I use a carbon frame and forks, however out of the the 5 people I know who race on steel frames, 4 of them use Easton carbon forks. The other uses the steel ones which came with his very nice Gunnar.

What do light steel forks come in at, 700grams?

magowen100
    Free Member

Saladoger – if you go down the carbon route I’d be interested in the P2’s (if they’re 700c). Having splurged on a Kona Sutra frame in the CRC sale I need the forks now.
    Cheers
    Matt

Kuco

Don’t know if Independent Fabrications sell their steel cross for separately.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Hmm I use steel forks on my Gunnar steel cross bike, much nicer ride and no brake judder either and all in build with Veloce is under 19lbs.

h4muf
    Free Member

Mag-i have some good p2’s if it the deal drops off.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

They are nice those Guunars, the same guy has one of their MTB’s as well in the same light blue colour, lovely.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Yeah my Gunnar is Sweet, bettered by my custom Waterford, but that’s a road bike! I will at some point upgrade the cross to Chorus or maybe Ultegra/dura ace, want to get it under 18lbs 😀

magowen100
    Free Member

h4muf – YGM.
    Cheers
    Matt

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘carbon v steel cross forks’ is closed to new replies.