Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Carbon trail bikes – suitable for alps?
  • chameleon78
    Free Member

Liking the new breed of carbon- Ibis mojo and HD, SC Blur and Nomad in particular.
    Are these bikes suitable for the alps? Eg a week in morzine riding pretty much everything other than big drops and jumps? Would alu versions of SC be better?

I am looking at a fs purchase and that at the mo is my shortlist but because I can only afford one – just- I'd like to be able to use it for trail centres in uk and alps holidays. I am ideally wanting an all rounder, got a hardtail for other general duties.

sambob
    Free Member

if you can afford carbon, then why not get carbon? reduced weight obviously makes climbing easier, but you may have to skimp on components if your budget only just stretches to a carbon frame. if you are getting a complete bike, then go for it. you wont regret it 🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

A guest rode off the side of one of our trails last summer. Cartwheeled 20 or 30m down a steep hillside, crashing through trees and bushes. This was all on a carbon stumpjumper. Bike was fine. Rider shaken but not stirred. :mrgreen:

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

They're trail bikes, the alps has trails. Go figure.

chameleon78
    Free Member

Skyline – trails like the super morzine and the tennis court are not really on par with the norm.
    I figure if Lopes can hammer downhill then that's all the encouragement I need.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I did everything you're describing on a fivespot a few years ago, and it coped really well. I now have a carbon blur LT and I reckon it would be even better. Super super stiff, and with 36s on the front it feels like it could do anything. Incidentally, I'm taking the blur to the Alps next month.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

No, it'll snap and you'll die.

chameleon78
    Free Member

In the past I've done it on a superlight and a 5 spot no issues there.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

carbon is far stronger – remember the plane you fly to the alps is also made of composite material.

A320 fuselage

The primary structures of the A320 are of composite construction with aramid fibre (AFRP), glass fibre (GFRP) and carbon fibre (CFRP) reinforced plastics.

:mrgreen:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Carbon trail bikes – suitable for alps?’ is closed to new replies.