• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pdw.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Carbon steerer (CX bike) how is the bung removed? FSA headset (pic included)
  • Poopscoop

Feels like Im learning about bikes all over again after a recent s/hand CX bike purchase. All good fun though! 🙂

Is this bung removed with an allen key or such? The threaded section seems to have an allen key cutout too….I think.

Thanks for info guys!

andyl
    Free Member

by the looks of it just an allen key in that top hex you see. The top cap bolt will go down into that hex to the thread.

somafunk

The Allen key bolt will drive into an expander bung inside the carbon steerer tube and unscrew using a suitable size Allen key

Poopscoop

Thanks guys, as always I knew you lot would know for sure. 🙂

timba
    Free Member

IME, the bung isn’t normally visible above the stem. Watch that it doesn’t stop the headset being adjusted properly; I assume that there’s a spacer above too??

pdw
    Free Member

Don’t undo that bolt completely as the expander wedge may fall off the bottom. Just unscrew it a bit and if necessary give it a gentle tap to free the wedge.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Carbon steerer (CX bike) how is the bung removed? FSA headset (pic included)’ is closed to new replies.