Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Carbon (roadie) tub rims – should they be as strong as aluminium?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

Got a pair of 50mm carbon tubs earlier in the year. Done 3 triathlons, 5 TTs and a 4 short road rides. Only bought them to use on the TT bike, but put them on the road bike to get a bit more practice with the different braking and handling characteristics.

Checked the rims yesterday as part of normal pre ride checks, to find a crack in the rear rim and a similar but not quite cracked bulge on the front.

Sent photos to retailer who instantly says “impact damage” no warranty claim.

However, I’d have thought that I would have known if I’d hit something hard enough to break two carbon rims. I don’t recall anything untoward.

I will add that the crack/bulge does look like impact damage.

But are carbon tubs really that fragile? I would have thought that with the lower sidewalls they would be stronger than equivalent clinchers.

I know that these were at the value end of the scale but would have expected a bit more strength.

I’m about 83kg and not particularly hard on kit. Same alloy wheels on the road bike for 4 years with no damage and not had to re-true.

Retailer has offered to rebuild the wheels with new rims….for £100 less than a new set!

So next question will be “which deep carbon rims?” I might go for some 60/90mm ones and only use them on the TT bike.

So the follow up question….”which deep carbon rims/wheels with ally brake track for road bike?” I live in a hilly area.

dovebiker

I broke two carbon road rims in successive races due to potholes – I only weigh 60kg but the impact in both cases caused the rim to bulge / delaminate – in the middle of the pack you often don’t much choice of line and smacking holes is almost inevitable given the current condition of roads.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I run several carbon wheelsets and am the same weight as you give or take a couple of kg.
    The toughest ones are the Hope RS5.0SP which I used first of all for cx then road.
    I’ve had two sets of Chinese carbons in 38mm depth purely for cx. They’ve been fine as well with no bulging or cracking.
    My most fragile are a pair of Nimble Crosswind tri spokes which are just beautiful but only get used for TT.
    I don’t know where hope sourced the rims for the 50s but they are very solid. For some reason the tub wheelset is about 400g lighter than the clinchers.
    They do crop up from time to time and worth it if they’re in good nick. Oh and yes I get the paranoia monkey on long steep descents too.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

PlanetX then?

tang
    Free Member

I hear ENVE are doing a lifetime crash warranty. Looks like it’s 50% to replace, but lifetime.

gardron
    Free Member

“which deep carbon rims/wheels with ally brake track for road bike?” Shimano Dura Ace, no question there.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Sounds like I’m not a one off then.

A well…..get saving for the sales 🙂

tarquin
    Free Member

Not naming a brand so I assume unbranded carbon direct from a retailer abroad?

Not known anyone to break a carbon rim through normal use, only during a crash.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

tarquin – well known uk retailer

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Got to be PlanetX as you’re talking about 60/90’s and the fact the customer service is left wanting?

epicyclo

I think I’d prefer something that buckles rather than disintegrates… 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Carbon (roadie) tub rims – should they be as strong as aluminium?’ is closed to new replies.