Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Carbon Monoxide Detector Positioning.
  • dbcooper
    Free Member

In keeping with my percieved role as a female version Of Van Hoogstraten I am intending to pre-emt the new regs and get my carbon monoxide detectors fitted to my rental properties now.

The guidance for placement is unclear.
    The guidance says:
    It should be in the same room as the appliance
    Do no fit inside a cupboard
    Do not fit in a humid area.
    They should be wired in and interlinked.

So what happens if I have a boiler in a cupboard in a bathroom.
    I cant put it in the cupboard, I cant put in the bathroom, and all the manuals for different wired in models say defo not in bathrooms.
    So outside the bathroom door? How do I know if this is safe and correct?
    I don’t want anyone to die, and I want to be sure I have complied.
    Confusion.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Last ones I had fitted was by the gas safe guy, took it that he knew what the regs were. Wired in and interlinked sounds a lot more involved now though.

dbcooper
    Free Member

My plumber and electrician are gasesafe was corgi reg and niceic reg respectivly and they are not sure..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wired in and interlinked sounds a lot more involved now though.

Same as smoke alarms in HMO’s?

We just moved into an ex rental house, CO detector is in the cupboard (under stairs so it’s not a ‘cupboard’ in that sense, more a very small room I suppose) with the boiler. I guess we should put one in the kitchen but that’s got far more ventilation.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m not sure why having it in a cupboard would be a problem as that would be the first place it would accumulate unless it needs a certain volume of free flowing air to be effective. Are you sure it doesn’t mean a separate cupboard (as in independent of the one the boiler is in)?

TBH I’d be contacting the manufacturer first, in most cases their instructions supersede any regs anyway (see also gas regs, electrical regs)

goldfish24

I’m not a CO expert (am a fire detector expert) but I know that CO diffuses well (ie moves around like a bad smell), and I also know that electrochemical CO cells will have their lifetime shortened by very high or very low humidity. So working down that list of guidelines, the conclusion is to stick it outside the bathroom. I wouldn’t stick it directly in front of the door either to avoid humidity, more like the centre of the room outside the bathroom.

Again, no expert, but ‘interlinked’ means using domestic interlinked detectors, which is not nearly as bad as fire detection for HMOs which require a full blown EN54 smoke detector system with control panel and fire rated cabling.

Edit: yes, def ask the manufacturer. If they’re good they’ll have a tech support team to answer the phone.

footflaps

We have four CO detectors (Nest smoke alarms) which all wirelessly interlink….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Monoxide Detector Positioning.’ is closed to new replies.