Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Carbon monoxide detector – high or low?
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

We have just had a new boiler fitted and the installer put in a new CO detector. It is on the ceiling. I think CO is lighter than air but not 100% sure… Anybody got the answer?

RustyMac

Carbon monoxide is lighter than air. Co detector should be on the ceiling.

mattmbk
    Free Member

Not sure but ours is above the boiler and has worked on several occasions. Possibly scarier than the smoke alarm.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

C0 mixes with air, so knee height if in a sleeping area or up to chest height- according to google

poly
    Free Member

It is very slightly lighter than air, but assuming it is coming from a boiler then it is probably “warm” so would tend to rise too.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Carbon monoxide is lighter than air

It’s not that much lighter. CO has a mol wt of 28 amu and air is 29 so I’d call it neutrally bouyant.

FuzzyWuzzy

When I looked into it before it seemed having a combination of ceiling mounted and between chest and head height was recommended.

Flaperon

Wot gonefishin said. Put it somewhere you’ll hear it if it goes off.

molgrips
    Free Member

The instructions that came with mine suggested head height, so as above – bed level height in a bedroom, sofa back level in a living room etc.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Not sure but ours is above the boiler and has worked on several occasions. Possibly scarier than the smoke alarm.

? we were told not to put it near the boiler?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Carbon monoxide detector – high or low?’ is closed to new replies.