Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Carbon Monoxide Alarms
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Want to get one of these, any recommendations? Prefer a battery one for portability.

Seen a fireangel one which looks reasonable, but know nothing about them. Also notice there's loads of BNIB deals on them on ebay…. too good to be true? I'm not risking saving a tenner on safety grounds, but if there are genuine deals, may as well make the most of it.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

just a £15 fire angel from b&q

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

monkey_boy – Member
    just a £15 fire angel from b&q

Ditto, just bought one. Claims to run off the one battery for life, which has to be a plus that the temptation to pull the **** battery out to stop it chirping when it runs low is hopefully prevented.

Saw some around the £35 mark, so considerable price differences, I don't know enough about them to comment whether there are different standards of technology though. Price seems to vary according to where/why you buy.

Example in my case, we've bought a new caravan, the old CO detector had flat batteries, a specific caravan supplies shop wanted the £35, B&Q wanted £15. Bit of a no brainer really!

woody2000

I'm sure we got some FOC from our local council, might be worth a call?

showerman
    Free Member

if i left my carbon frame near one would it set it off??

spooky_b329

Whilst we are on the subject, would a Monoxide alarm be set off by leaking butane/propane? Also is there any problems keeping one in a campervan that is driven a couple of times a week…don't want it going off whilst sitting in heavy traffic 🙂

woody2000

spooky – wouldn't you need a butane/propane alarm for that? 🙄 🙂

Chase
    Free Member

Got ours free from British Gas.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Spooky, no, a CO detector won't be set off by leaky butane or propane. There is no problemw ith you having one in your campervan, in fact if it goes off when driving It's telling you that there is a problem somewhere – maybe the exhaust system on the campervan?

We've got one in the caravan for the rare occasions that we use the gas heating overnight.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

We've just had the fire brigade in to check the fire alarms and they gave us a carbon monoxide alarm.

Junkyard
    Free Member

butane and propane are both heavier that air so would leak from a vehicle – bit more of an issue in a boat.

Apparently farts set them off – gas detectors that is – better to fit a bubble tester and use that regularily if you need to check gas soundness.

Junkyard
    Free Member

butane and propane are both heavier that air so would leak from a vehicle – bit more of an issue in a boat.

Apparently farts set them off – gas detectors that is – better to fit a bubble tester and use that regularily if you need to check gas soundness.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Monoxide Alarms’ is closed to new replies.