Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Carbon Help Needed………
  • Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

My Carbon seatpost is stuck in my carbon frame. Any ideas how I can get it out??

neil853
    Free Member

aside from cutting it off then cutting down the seatpost no? i've had to do it will ally posts in shops 😐

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Useless! 😉

trekcol
    Free Member

try soaking it overnight in Coke (coca cola- not drugs!) if it sits in this fluid- then the corrosive nature of the drink may eat away at the seized crap. If this does not work, cut the seat post head off- leaving 30mm stuck out the top of the frame- then cut 2 slots into the seat post inner diameter- going down the depth of the stuck seat post, approx 5 mm apart from each other. The slots should be 85-90% of the way through the the wall thickness. Then tap this 5mm slot out with a chisel (carefully). Then crush the 30mm sticking out which should allow the stuck section to come away from the seat tube of the frame, twist and pull! Takes an hour or so!

bigyinn
    Free Member

How has it got stuck in there in the first place? Carbon doesnt corrode like steel / alu does, so the coke thing may not help.
    Try running some penetrating oil in there and letting it soak in overnight and then try taking the saddle off and putting the head of the seatpost in a vice, then use the frame as a lever to try and twist it get it moving. The only downside is you may trash your frame and / or seatpost if they're exposed to forces they aren't designed to withstand.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

UPDATE – I have just been told (by the guy whos bike it is) that the seat post is Alu, not Carbon. SORRY!! 😳

wwaswas

putting the seatpost in a vice and turning the frame might work too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

OK if the post is Alu then coke or penetrating oil may help. Sounds like its corroded in there. Leave it to soak as long as you can, couple of days with topping up will deffo help!

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

cheers guys! 8)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Help Needed………’ is closed to new replies.