Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Carbon FS frames…. ok for the morbidly obese, or go alloy??
  • Poopscoop

Yes, I need to lose weight, nuff said. Lets get that one out the way (weigh?) first. 😉

Anyway, at the moment I weigh in at 16 stone 10Lb all suited up….

During the Summer im normally around 15 stone all suited up.

Any issue with a carbon frame in relevance to rider weight.

I know all the other pros/ cons of going plastic…. just not if weight is relevant Vs alloy frame?

Carbon frame in question if a YF Capra/ Jeffsy… when they come into stock…

As always, thanks guys.

br
    Free Member

A pal of mine always rides carbon mtb’s, he’s about your weight (but also +6’6″) and a seriously fast guy – very hard on machinery too.

I also ride carbon but a wee bit lighter than you.

fifeandy
    Free Member

There’s a Santa Cruz video floating around somewhere that shows that modern carbon frames are actually stronger than alloy.

The bigger worry would be if fork/shock will take enough air pressure to not bottom out too easily.

scotroutes

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6APhKvaW6ig[/video]

Poopscoop

Jeez…. impressive on the video.

Thanks for help and opinions guys!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You might already know, but I found FS bikes and big riders don’t mix.

At 95-100kg (in my pants, so add 5kg of gear) I really struggled with shock’s.

Stock fox float was never tuned right, and blew up (Cavedale)

Replacement fox float was never tuned right (even after MOJO worked their magic), and blew up (Lake district)

LOCO got it working properly (abeit with the rebound range reduced to about 5 clicks), apparently the air can blew out the seal seat first ride for it’s new owner. (can’t remember my last ride)

Couldn’t get coil springs stiff enough so that wasn’t an option (although the first two shocks it was the damper that blew so a coil wouldn’t necessarily help).

And that was with a relatively conservative (~2.5) linkage ratio. Basically every time I went somewhere that really justified the suspension, I blew up a damper.

lesgrandepotato

I’m a bit of a unit. Round that 100kg mark. Been riding a Scott spark in the lakes for a few years. More will depend on riding style than out and out kilos

jruk
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon – I’m about your weight and my Aeris (with a Monarch Plus RC3) does me proud so it’s possible, even for heavy and clumsy edjits like me. Have you tried an RS shock?

mcnultycop

I’m 120kg and the shock is the only issue, it’s wallowy when pedalling even with a FF tune. However, I’ve been told a longer leverage ratio would make the difference on my next bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon – I’m about your weight and my Aeris (with a Monarch Plus RC3) does me proud so it’s possible, even for heavy and clumsy edjits like me. Have you tried an RS shock?

I haven’t no.

Could be bad luck, could be a fox thing, could be riding style, I wouldnt say Im hard on bikes, most have been hardtails but I did tend to ride the the FS bikes as fast/hard as they’d let me so they didn’t get an easy life. That and it was on the limit for tuning.

Poopscoop

Thanks for info guys.

Already have a full suss do have an idea of what the new fs will be like in that respect.

Thanks again lads!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Carbon FS frames…. ok for the morbidly obese, or go alloy??’ is closed to new replies.