Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Carbon frame repair
  • nickdavies

I’m sure i’ve seen this done on here a couple of times but can’t find it.
    Destroyed the drive side stay on my C456 yesterday ploughing it into a rock. Nice big crack which carried on growing over the next 15k… ended up about a 2″ section of the chainstay needs to be fixed.

Been quoted £100 to repair without finishing which is a bit steep for a frame that’s been ragged for a year and didn’t cost a lot to start with. Tempted to have a bash at doing it myself. A couple of companies sell repair kits online, am I being stupid or is a self repair worth having a go at? Or do you have to know your stuff to get it right. Any guides/how to videos floating about?

nickdavies

Picture.. not great but about 1″ split vertically up the frame and cracks all around it that appeared after riding it some more!

damascus
    Free Member

How much is the kit?

As long as you get it structurally sound you can cover it with a chain guard or innertube so it doesn’t matter how ugly it is.

What’s the worst that could happen? 😉

fatboyjon

Home fishing rod repair kits are a doddle to use, do it, then as above, cover it with a chainstay protector and don’t forget to check it every now and then.

I_Ache
    Free Member

If you repair it yourself you will learn something and worst case you lose the cost of the kit and some time. Carbon is supposed to be quite an easy material to repair apparently.

enmac
    Free Member

I have used the repair kit from these guys. Similar damage but to non-driveside chainstay, bike is still going strong 3 years later.

http://www.carbonology.com/repair-moulding-kits-c-130.html?sesid=hn4jh7r0mm4cvldiivflqquaa6%5D

I cut a triangular piece of carbon big enough to go round the chainstay 4 or 5 times. Start wrapping the narrow end round the break, wetting with resin each wrap and covering more of the chainstay, this spreads the stresses. Finally, wrap cling film tightly around the repair to try and squeeze any air out. Once dry remove the clingfilm. You can leave as is, or sand to produce a smooth surface, I didn’t bother becasuse it was going to be covered by chaninstay protection tape anyway.

Macavity
    Free Member

Jtidyman
    Free Member

I used the kit to fix a cracked alloy frame and it worked very well.

The kit I got came with heat shrink wrap to compress the Epoxy/Carbon so you can get rid of all the voids/bubbles.

It’s worth a crack at doing it yourself.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Carbon frame repair’ is closed to new replies.