• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rone.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Carbon frame cleaner
  • jiff
    Free Member

Apologies if this has already been done ?
    I want to start looking after my roadie carbon frame a little better and have decided to start using polish – I’m told it really does make a difference about helping to keep it cleaner afterwards and looking after the paint generally.
    So……
    – is this true ?
    – if so, I’ve been recommended to use Morgan Blue spray polish, but this seems a bit pricey. Anyone any experience and is it worth it
    – any other recommendations please ?
    Ta

rone

Pretty much any decent wax and or polish will help any frame with paint and clear coat look better.

No real need for anything carbon specific. It’s just lacquer you’re polishing.

So a high quality car one will do the job. And yes it will stay cleaner and wash better.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Used to put a bit of Mr Sheen on carbon MTB. Supposedly it keeps mud off better, but probably not. Smelt nice though.

Main thing I find with carbon is mud sticks well to it if left to dry.

Tracey

We use Scottoilers ultimate bike protection. Works ok. Mud doesn’t stick as much

submarined
    Free Member

As above, car was. The carbon isn’t bare, it’s sealed in resin and likely lacquered or clear coated, for all intents and purposes it’s exactly the same as painted metal frame.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I just use the same stuff I use on my car.

Main thing I find with carbon is mud sticks well to it if left to dry

Why would it stick to a carbon frame any worse than to a metal frame?

deadkenny
    Free Member

No idea why, but it does in my experience. When the mud dries I can often dust it off an alloy frame easily. Carbon needs washing to shift.

Kryton57

Baby wipes.

Cheap, easy, works exceptionally well.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I would avoid polish. It’s abrasive and the lacquer finish on a carbon bike is thin. You’re not supposed to polish a car regularly. Proper detailers will measure the paint thickness first to decide if the paint is thick enough to be polished, especially on old cars where they may have been polished multiple times.

jiff
    Free Member

Okay – thanks all.
    Think I’m going to try a smidging of car wax and see what the after effects are before deciding what I’ll be doing in the future.
    Thx again

fanatic278
    Free Member

I use GT85 lube. Only need a tiny spray and my frame comes up nice and glistening. Works on my matt black MTB and gloss black roadie.

rone

Car polish is for cleaning your paint of crap that hasn’t come off with the wash. Wax is something you put on to protect the paint/lacquer and make it shine.

There are a couple of combined products.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Carbon frame cleaner’ is closed to new replies.