Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Carbon frame and alloy s/post
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Do I need any specific anti-seize paste, or will good ole copper slip do? It’s my DH bike so the s/post gets left in one position, except for when I put it in the work stand, when I need to raise it a little.

benpinnick

You want anti-slip ideally, not anti-seize. Fiber grip or similar will be fine.

mikey74
    Free Member

Why anti-slip? The seat post is down as far as it will go, so slipping isn’t and issue. I just want to be able to remove the thing occasionally.

benpinnick

Sorry wasnt paying enough attention. Any grease will do in that case, anti seize will be fine if thats what you have.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cool, that’s what I though. Cheers.

eshershore
    Free Member

you should only carbon fibre friction paste on a carbon frame, regardless of seat post material

you certainly don’t want to use grease, anti seize or copperslip!

and likewise use the friction paste if installing a carbon fibre seat post into a steel, aluminium or titanium frame

andyl
    Free Member

you can use a composite safe anti-seize like the Shimano and I think Park tools stuff. (neither are copper slip)

but you may as well use fibre grip type stuff so you have less chance of slipping. Just be careful if you raise and lower the saddle a lot as it could cause a lot of scratches if you use a lot.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

you certainly don’t want to use grease, anti seize or copperslip!

why?

nickdavies

Grease can delaminate Carbon can’t it? Anti slip/anti seize the same thing in my book for bikes – do the same job. Carbon assembly paste provides friction and let’s it come out ok, prevents it sticking. It’s only £6 for a tube of it, may as well considering the carbon frame cost!

andyl
    Free Member

tbh most epoxies are pretty chemical resistant, but they may swell in constant contact. Most bike greases are regarded as “carbon safe” and those are fine. But you might find your post slips with them and then have to tighten up a lot and risk damage that way.

mikey74
    Free Member

OK, cheers folks. I’ll have a look for some of the fibre grip paste.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep fibre grip/friction paste even just for the fact that it will stop it spinning.
    Grease is recommended for headset installation in SC frames etc.

timba
    Free Member

Alloy seatposts will corrode in a carbon frame, ideally use a carbon seatpost and regularly check whatever you use (hope that’s not too much egg-sucking)

rickmeister

Timba, that’s interesting as most droppers are are alloy ….. I bet there are a lot in carbon frames

timba
    Free Member

…I can’t see “dropper”, apart from where you added it. Maybe I’ve missed an inference…

rickmeister

Dropper seat posts, like reverbs and the like are alloy…… Fitted ours with carbon paste but it’s still alloy in a carbon frame. With the dropper post, it gets nipped up and never moved for a long time too.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yep, not a dropper post, but I see the comparison. Who’d thought this was such a controversial subject :mrgreen:

Stevet1
    Free Member

most droppers are are alloy ….. I bet there are a lot in carbon frames

I’ve said it before but it’s worth saying again – I’ve seen the damage that can be done to an expensive dropper post in a carbon frame and how its almost impossible to get a dropper out without trashing it. I regularly take it out now or at least loosen the clamp off and move it up and down a bit.
    Mine is fitted with coppaslip BTW.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Carbon frame and alloy s/post’ is closed to new replies.