Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Carbon Forks – stripping off the lacquer for respraying – anybody done it?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Would like to get my bike frame (steel) at Bob Jacksons but would like my carbon disc fork sprayed the same colour.

It has a thick clear lacquer and graphics under the lacquer – is it just a case of a fine wet and dry to take it down to the carbon – then send the forks away with the frame – seems a bit dodgy sanding down carbon forks…….

Anybody done it? Seem to remember seeing some of Singular Sam’s done this way?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d leave the laquer alone, phone the painters and see what they say, thye might have a paint that will stick to the fork as it is.

The Laquer is probably just the gelcoat, in which case it’s the same material all the way through the fork so sanding it down wont help except to key the surface.

Rik
    Free Member

I thought rather than just key the surface of the lacquer, they would need to take the decals off otherwise it would not be an even surface to spray??

sharkbait
    Free Member

You’ll be fine to sand them. We sand carbon boat masts before re-lacquering/varnishing them…. but as already said, you may be fine painting on top of the lacquer but the finish may not be as good.

Rik
    Free Member

Cool – has anybody already done this? What grade paper did you use?

andyl
    Free Member

I wouldn’t take it down too far. Just sand them down to smooth the surface and any edges that the stickers cause. tbh they could probably just give them a light sand to prep and then use a high build primer and then sand that back before spraying in the colour coat.

Do the stickers actually leave a ridge?

ferrit32
    Free Member

I had a pair of exotic carbon forks colour matched to a Swift. The painter just keyed the gel coat and sprayed ontop of that. Finish was fine but the weave did show ever so slightly as did the decals, probably more to do with the gel coat than the painters ability.

Rik
    Free Member

It’s a pair of Trigon carbon forks btw.

I presume that the painter would have to air dry the forks rather than heat/oven dry the forks?

tron
    Free Member

iI suspect that a quick rub with a grey scotchbrite pad will be all that’s done to prep it for paint if the current finish is ok. Gives a 1200 grit or so scuff to the surface.

cynic-al
    Free Member

See my carbon fork thread. I used steel wool, I was a bit pissed and couldn’t find the wet and dry.

Rik
    Free Member

Any other examples that weren’t carried out under the influence of alcohol?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Unlikely but I’ll have a think

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Forks – stripping off the lacquer for respraying – anybody done it?’ is closed to new replies.